background

Sunday, January 13, 2008

I Should Be Sewing, but......



Instead I am folding and cutting paper! I found this calendar at Borders today on the bargain shelf. I looked at these just before Christmas but they were $15 and I just couldn't pay that much for it. Today it was $4, so into my basket it went.


I have always enjoyed origami and have dabbled in it now and then. I find it relaxing. This is a different sort of origami as you fold then cut. There is a page for each day of the year and it looks as if they become more complicated as you go. I have no idea what I will do with these - I can see them as being useful in cards and such but I don't know if they will actually go to live in a card.

Here are scans of the five I made this evening. I did notice that later in the year, you learn to do cuts such as those used to make pop up cards. Should be interesting and I think I will enjoy it as a little something to do to wind down at the end of the day.


I did manage some sewing yesterday. I am working on a wallhanging to hold my postcards. I have about 1/3 of the top sewn so I did make a little progress.


I also experimented with layering some tissue paper on a snowflake rubbing plate, wetting it, and watching the texture transfer to the paper. I then painted over the raised area with Shiva Paintsticks. I am thinking of cutting these into small bits and sewing them onto a background for a winter postcard.

Oh! I almost forgot - I received this from Debi. Thanks Debi! This is my very first award and I feel so honored. You make my day too. I love visiting your blog and your charity quilts warm my heart every single time.
I am supposed to pass this along to five others whose blogs make my day. It is so difficult to choose just 5 as I thoroughly enjoy all of the blogs I read on a regular basis and am always delighted when my feed thingy (is so too a real technical word) tells me that someone has updated their blog with a new post. Sooooo, take a trip down my list of blogs I read (it's over there --->>>). I'll just bet several of them will make your day too!

5 comments:

Debi said...

Myra, the kirigami looks like fun. I am thinking you may be incorporating some of these into your inchies!!

NanaK said...

Ohhh, I love the snowflakes! Have fun making these. Congrats on your award....what a nice surprise!

Have a nice day.

Jan said...

The kirigami is so neat--you always find the best things to do!!

jenclair said...

I love the snowflakes, too. You could cut them out of freezer paper and use them for stencils or for a quilting design. Congrats on the Award!

Lise said...

These are lovely!! And congratulations with cleaning your sewing room. How I wish it was me...
Lise