background

Monday, February 18, 2008

Big Bird's Birthday...

... is March 20th. Did you know that? I didn't until this swap on Art We Mail. The prompt was "what can you do with a yellow card?" Here is my take on Big Bird's birthday and a yellow card.



Everyone seemed to like the shaker cards from a recent swap and I wanted to try another technique with those. The framing is something I picked up for $1 in the kitchen clearance at walmart. It is a rubberized mat that is supposed to go in your refrigerator. The lines of fabric are actually chenille that has been smashed a bit by the scanner. I picked up a packet of that presewn chenille stuff several months ago for 25 cents. Had no idea what I was going to do with it at the time but it seems perfect for these cards.



I gathered up some yellow bits and beads and make the shaker top of netting.




The frames went a little wonky as I was sewing them down. The rubber stuck to the foot on my machine and distorted it a bit. The wonkiness just seems right to me for these happy cards so I am not going to worry about them being a bit off kilter. Also, in the spirit of Sesame Street, several of these have letters that spell something that is yellow.



I am in the postcard "zone" it seems and don't want to stop while the ideas are coming. Next, I believe I will make some blue cards with the same sort of design as my Pretty In Pink cards.



3 comments:

katelnorth said...

I do love seeing what fun things we find to use in our art - rubberised fridge mat, just brilliant!

Debi said...

Fabulous post cards, you green and yellow ones are lovely.

Jan said...

Your cards are just great! What good ideas you have!