background

Monday, April 6, 2009

My next project



I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this pattern. My mother used to sing this song to me when I was a little girl and I also sang it to my boys when they were babies. The minute I saw it I knew I had to have it.

Now, this had me wondering - Was this really a song? I only knew it as my mother sang it and thought she just made it up. With the wonders of the internet and Google I discovered that it is an old Doris Day song. Mom's version was shorter of course as I am sure it was sang to meet the attention span of young Myra. LOL

La-D-Da has another pattern Mares Eat Oats and my mother sang that song to me too! I Googled it and found it to be a bonafide childrens song. Check it out here. You will be tapping your toes and singing along just as sure as I will be stitching this design in the near future as well.

Memories....aren't they great?!

"I love you a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck. A hug around the neck and a bushel and a peck. I. Love. You!" (This is how my mom sang it to me)

4 comments:

Crispy said...

Oh how sweet Myra.

Crispy (who sang so badly her little boy told her not to sing to him LOL)

PunkiePie said...

Punkie won't let me sing to her. Only hum. LOL. What sweet memories you have. Awesome that you found some stitcheries to go with them.

Yoyo said...

I remember several song my folks sang in the car to keep us quiet. Mares Eat Oats was one of them. We thought they made them up too but I have since found them on recordings. This little piece will bring you lots of happy memories.

Sharon said...

Thanks for sharing your memories which called back some of my own! My Nannie singing the same songs to me as we sat out on her front porch swing! I never knew the origin of the songs. Thanks for link!