background

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Experimenting



Here is the result of my experiment with the Hand Dyed Fibers silks. I used the samples that Vikki sent me and I was glad to get this gorgeous strand of Indigo Ocean. I also got a sample of her Premium silk in white which I used in just a few stitches in the center of the butterfly. I stitched this free pattern from My Aunt's Attic on 28 ct linen with 2 strands of the ocean and 1 strand of the premium white.

I decided to really experiment and I didn't wash the floss before stitching. I washed the stitching as I do all of my pieces using warm water and Synthrapol. I then rolled it in a white towel and ironed it on the backside until dry. I was very pleased there was absolutely NO bleeding. The floss had great coverage using 2 over 2 with the ocean and 1 over 2 with the premium white. Needless to say, I have found the floss I will be using for my Dog's Day Out piece. I plan to order the conversion colors in the premium floss so I can stitch with one strand and not have to worry about 2 strands twisting and having to railroad.

Please note, this is just my experience. I am not affiliated in any way with Hand Dyed Fibers nor will I say you will get the same results. I conducted this little experiment for my own peace of mind after my experience with Smell My Feet using overdyed silks. Dogs Day Out is going to be a big piece for me and I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be disappointed with the end result after putting a lot of hours into it.

I also tried my hand at making some fancy pins for this pin cushion. I used plain straight pins and added a few beads and a bit of glue. What do you think? :o)

6 comments:

Marilyn R said...

Your pin cushion is beautiful. I love your fancy pins - what a great idea!

Crispy said...

The pincushion and pins are both lovely Myra. Please excuse my ignorance but, the floss you used covered well with 2 strands as well as with 1 strand. You mentioned ordering the premium floss so you can just use one. Is the premium floss different that you used on the pincushion? I guess I think of silk threads as an appliquer...meaning very fine.

Crispy

Carol said...

That is such a lovely color of blue Myra and what cute pins. You are very creative! Glad you've found the perfect fibers for "Dogs Day Out"--it is such a darling piece. I'll be following your progress...

Jan said...

Your butterfly pillow is just beautiful! And I love the pins you have stuck in the pillow---are those hat pins? I collect hat pins, so they caught my eye!

Ranae said...

The butterfly cushion is so pretty and the colors are fabulous. love the fancy pin too.

PunkiePie said...

What a gorgeous pin cushion! Too pretty for pins!