background

Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Finish


"Sew Blue"
35 ct HDF linen, Caron Waterlilies Fiesta


I finished the stitching on Carol's "Sew Blue" and made it into a pinkeep. As you can see, I took a little artistic license with the chart and put my initials in. I wanted mine to have an autumnal "feel" to so I used a floss with those fallish colors that I love.
This little guy came home with me from the fall festival yesterday. It is actually one of those small round paper mache boxes that has been painted, placed on a dowel, and filled with rice. It was labeled as a "shaker" but I call it my Halloween wand. :o) He wanted to come home and join my Halloween display so I let him!
The ceramic pumpkin you see was made by my own two hands back in 1980 when I was all into ceramics. There was a lady nearby who had a studio in a barn outside her house and my mother and I would go there and take classes. I was a junior in high school at the time. We would paint and glaze the raw pieces and leave them for her to fire in her kiln. I have a few other pieces I made not the least of which is the set of dishes I use every day. This pumpkin always brings back fond memories of my mother and I sitting in that barn, painting and pondering life.

11 comments:

BeckySC said...

You did a beautiful job on the pinkeep Myra :) It looks fantastic:)
LOVE your Halloween "wand" and the pumpkin you made is awesome too :)
Enjoy your Sunday :)

Carol R said...

Beautiful stitch and finished into a lovely pinkeep. I love the autumnal colour floss you chose.

Cole said...

Great pinkeep, I love the colors you chose!

Carol said...

Myra, your pinkeep is truly lovely--you did a great job in choosing your colors. The fall festival looks like so much fun--glad you brought home a souvenir to remember your day. Wow, you actually made your pumpkin and your everyday dishes--you have so many creative talents :)

Ranae said...

You did a beautiful job on the pinkeep, love the fallish colors.
The shaker is so cool, what a creative idea.

Daffycat said...

Beautiful pinkeep, Myra! Love your finishing!

Darling Halloween decor too. That shaker is cute, o excuse me, the wand rather. lol

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Your Halloween display is lovely! I love the ceramic pumpkin you made and I also see the fabric postcard that I sent you there. :)
The "SHAKER" Halloween wand is a cute idea. Your pinkeep is gorgeous! The choice of all the colors is perfect.

Tracey said...

It's just lovely! I love your other fall goodies as well. :)

Crispy said...

Love your pinkeep Myra and of course you should put your initials on it!!

Are you going to shake your new wand at the trick 'n treaters? LOL

Crispy

PunkiePie said...

I take ceramics! Every Thursday night (when my husband isn't working). I call it my social (few) hours. Sometimes I get stuff done and sometimes I don't. We just had our ceramics competition show last weekend so I need to see if I won anything!

Meari said...

Congrats on your finish!