background

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Happy Dancing!


I think it was about 3 months ago when I first saw this lovely design stitched up on someone's blog. For some reason this pattern just spoke to me and I decided I had to have it for my very own.

Well, as my luck seems to go when I began my search I discovered the chart was out of print and not available on any of the online stores. I then started watching ebay to see if someone might be offering this chart there.

I finally saw an auction for just the chart. I bid on the chart but the price was a bit more than I could afford to pay - it sold for over $20 for the chart alone. So I continued to save my pennies and check ebay a couple of times weekly.

Finally, another one was offered - this time with the linen and threads called for in the chart. I bid and there was someone else bidding but unfortunately, neither of our bids met the reserve price so it wasn't sold. The seller relisted it a week later and I bid - but no one else was bidding and again it didn't meet the reserve price. I emailed the seller to inquire about the reserve price and whether she might offer it to me as a second chance offer. She emailed me a day later to tell me she had offered it as a second chance to the highest bidder on the first auction (even though my bid on the second auction was higher but she didn't know that). Of course the high bidder on the first auction snapped it up and again I was left searching.

Are ya'll still with me? LOL Well, last week another one was offered again with the linen and floss. There was already a bidder at $8.00 with no reserve price. So, I placed my maximum bid (which was a little higher than the last auction. I HAD been saving my pennies you know!) and the price went to $8.50. I fully expected this one would run as high or higher as the last two but I watched it closely every day. No one had bid again. Last night, I sat at this computer and watched the last 5 minutes of the auction, again expecting someone to swoop in at the last minute and outbid me.

Well guess what? I WON! I got this wonderful pattern, the linen, and the floss for 8 freaking dollars and 50 cents!!! I am just ecstatic! I am just in love with this piece and love the saying "Home is where my heart blooms" because it is so true for me. Am I wrong to feel a little badly for the seller? I know even if she only paid cost for the items, she surely has more than $8.50 invested. I promise I will do the piece justice and display it proudly in my home once finished. :o)
If you read this far, thanks for sticking with me. My luck usually isn't the best and I am just amazed that I lucked out on this one that I wanted so badly and had to share it with you.

14 comments:

Nita said...

What a wonderful story. Obviously, you were meant to have this chart and the supplies. I'll be looking for progress notes and pics - lol!
Congrats!

Ranae said...

Woohoo! Good for you, Myra
I won an auction for a OOP chart and the fabric too for hardly nothing and did feel just a teeny tiny bad, lol.
I loved stitching this design and made it into a pillow.

Daffycat said...

Fabulous ebay win! Don't you dare feel guilty, ebay has a minimum bid so sellers know their item might sell for pennies.

Tracey said...

Woo hoo! Major happy dance! This is really pretty. And don't feel bad- maybe the seller received it as a gift or something and didn't want it.

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Congratulations Myra for getting the whole kaboodle! :)You were meant to get it. :)
Hugs

Berit said...

Congrats, Myra! You will make this piece really beautiful. I'm finishing up loose feathers no 26 (I even blogged about it!) right now, so I can understand about REALLY wanting one of those OOP BBD designs. Someone was kind enough to lend me the one that I'm stitching, though--but $8.50 for chart and supplies is a steal!

PunkiePie said...

Congratulations! Great ebay win!!

Carol said...

Patience pays off, Myra! Congratulations--maybe October is turning into your lucky month, too!

It IS lovely chart--I can see why you were so set on it. I love hearing a "great bargain: story any time :)

Barbeeque4 said...

Congrats on your eBay win!! it is a great chart - I stitched it up and got it framed for Christmas last year for my MIL - enjoy!

Brenden's said...

Oooo I love the blackbird patterns. This is a wonderful one...Lucky you for sticking with it Myra!!

Crispy

Robin said...

woohoo!!! Myra, that's a great find!
robinpich.blogspot.com

Jan said...

Great story--I so glad you perserved and won this wonderful kit--it will be beautiful when you finish it--can't wait to see it!

FayeRaye said...

Oh...I love happy endings!!! YOu did it!~ YOu came out on top and all for such a beautiful piece...not to mention all the extras that came with it for a measly 8.50....You go girl!~~ Faye

Natasha said...

good score :) It is amazing how the price on thoses BBD charts are so high one da and then pretty resonable the other. I have Quaker Garden and I have not seen it offered for a good price I saw it on EBAY for $135 for chart/threads/floss YIKES that is super expensive.

When do you think you will start stitching on this? Maybe we can do a SAL?