background

Sunday, July 25, 2010

In The Kitchen

I spent a lot of time in the kitchen this weekend. After working until 1 on Saturday I finally got around to trying my luck at canning. First up was this Zesty Salsa from the Ball Canning Blue Book. I had plenty of tomatoes and green peppers from the garden and the Blue Book in hand. I was so excited when within 5 minutes of removing my jars from the boiling water I heard 3 distinct "pings" - the music of the lids sealing. I had some left over which we ate right away with some chips and it was very good. I imagine the canned salsa will be even better after the flavors have time to meld.
After all that chopping and boiling I decided I needed a treat. Peach Cobbler was my weapon of choice. :o)
My success with the salsa along with inspiration from Edgar gave me the courage to start making Peach Jam today. I managed to make ten 4-oz jars and every one of those sealed too. I also froze six 2 cup containers of peaches for making more cobbler this winter. Peach cobbler has to be my favorite.
Between boiling water baths I managed to take a progress pic of Wash Day. I originally thought to change up the colors and have blue birds or red birds but after a floss toss I decided I liked the original colors. I am using the DMC as listed in the chart and 30 ct Baby's Breath linen. The linen is actually a little yellower than this picture shows.
So, what did you do this weekend? :o)



11 comments:

April Mechelle said...

Your canning and cobbler looks great !! Love the stitching. I put up tomatoes this weekend. I also have been stitching in this heat.

Mary said...

Myra, you've been busy! The peaches look delicious in "every way" Have you ever tried peach salsa? A project for another day...another bushel.
Wash Day is adorable. I love the colors:)

JOLENE said...

Wash Day is such a sweet pattern, I am excited to see a picture of it in progress. I am really going to miss Kathy's designs, she is one of my top five designers.

Your jam and salsa turned out nicely and that cobbler has my mouth watering.....

Crispy said...

Oooo peach cobbler...yummo!! I can't imagine canning in the summer :0)

Crispy

Amy said...

Oh my I have some cobbler please? It looks so yummy! I have the CHS Wash Day in my "to do" pile too, isn't it cute? Of course my "to do" pile is 8 feet deep and 16 feet wide, but that never stops me from adding more to it! ;-)

We had a busy/good weekend - my friend Karen came over Saturday to stitch and yesterday we went swimming for a bit & then I made my version of Subyway's Orchard Chicken salad (mine's better! lol) and put up some bellpeppers from my parents garden. They will be great in different recipes all year, and I got to "play" with our new food processor! ;-)

Happy stitching Myra!

natalyK said...

Peach Cobbler is a personal favorite. I love the smell of it while it is cooking and the taste of it just out of the oven. YUM! I love the progress on Wash Day as always your stitching is beautiful

Berit said...

I'm not sure that I've had peach cobbler--but I do love peach things! :D

This weekend flew by so fast that I'm not sure of what all we did, lol! We did see Inception and there was also a lot of hanging out at a friends' place. One of them in particular was playing a certain video game for a long, long time, lol!

I only got a bit of stitching in, but I still feel like I had fun. I'm still working on the Delivering Autumn re-stitch. Washday is looking so cute!

And, those canned peaches/peach cobbler look so beautiful--just like sunshine. ;)

Barbeeque4 said...

What a great WIP - and a busy "canning" weekend. Thanks for the mention - your jam looks beautiful!!

PunkiePie said...

Your salsa looks DELISH! I'm sure it tastes even better!

Sharon said...

I love your stitching AND your canning!! Salsa - oh honey, I could just make that my own personal "drink of choice"! :)

mainely stitching said...

I'm in awe of your canning success! My Ball jars and little starter kit are looking at me reproachfully from the shelf where I abandoned them!