background

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Weekend Update

While putzing around in the kitchen last night, freezing another round of blackberries, I decided to do a little dye experiment. I boiled and crushed some of the berries, strained them, and then put a piece of linen in the juice for the night. Above is the result. The square in the corner is a piece of the original linen. It didn't turn out as purple as I had hoped - it is more of a purpley grey color but I really like it for a Halloween sky background. It is nice and mottled, almost speckled with color. I am thinking I will stitch "Halloween Revelry" by the Primitive Needle on it. I will need to do a floss toss first to be sure but I am hoping it will work.
I finished this little stitch last week. It is part of a bit larger pattern that I found on this site with my own addition of the signature. I used 36 ct linen and HDF Old Maid of the Aubergine. I decided after stitching this that I will not be stitching Shores of Hawk Run Hollow on 36 ct, I am going to stay with 32 ct linen. I picked up a little square frame at Goodwill for .69 cents and spray painted it black today so this will live in it and go on the wall in my sewing room.

I hope all of you in the states had an enjoyable Independence Day and everyone else had a wonderful Sunday. I will leave you with a picture of my little "familiar" surveying the garden. :o)

14 comments:

April Mechelle said...

Your Kitty is so cute !!! I love the dyed linen. I had not thought of using berries to dye my fabric. Thanks for the idea.

JOLENE said...

Love that little vintage sewing machine and how adorable is that signature of yours with the needle attached! Very clever.....

Jane said...

Myra you are so clever and so inspirational to all of us, I would never have thought of dying fabric with berries but what a good idea when I'm sure it's something so many of us have to hand. I try to eat healthy and live on the 5-a-day regime so the thought of eating my blackberries, raspberries and blueberries and then dying some linen with the juice is really exciting xxx

Bonnie said...

That fabric turned out luscious. it is going to be fun to stitch on.

I love the little sewing sampler. it is going to look great in your sewing room.

Your kitty is beautiful. Love those eyes.

Peggy Lee said...

I once tried dying linen with coffee and it didn't really make much of a difference. I should try berries instead!
Love the little scissors and your signature too.
Your garden angel is adorable!

Carol said...

What a great idea to use blackberries, Myra! I'll bet it will be a great background for any Halloween piece...

Your little sewing design will be perfect in your sewing room. It's good that you discovered you're more comfortable stitching on 32 ct. before beginning Shores... I'm very comfortable using 32 ct. for my Christmas at HRH...although the sheer size of the fabric is still a problem for me!

Oh, I swear--Ziggy could be my old Shadow's long-lost brother--so sweet. I just love black cats :)

Have a relaxing day off today!!

Crispy said...

How fun to dye your own linen, I think it came out very pretty and unique. The little piece you completed is very sweet :0)

Crispy

Faye said...

Oh Myra, You think about everything!! I love the idea about experiment with your berries!!! I can see Halloween designs on it for sure!!! Good job! Faye

Catherine said...

Love, love, love the color of the fabric! You rock!

What a fabulous picture of your Ziggy!

mainely stitching said...

I love the berry-dyed linen result! We have tons of raspberries on this property - I wonder what result they might bring? ;)

Deb said...

I think that your dyed linen came out wonderful. I can see it for a Halloween sky - definitely.

Love your little finished piece too - will you hang it in your craft room or make a little pin cushion from it?

Dani - tkdchick said...

Awww your kitty looks so like my little guy!!!

Nice little finish!

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Myra,

I am back! Where does time go? Wow it seems like ages since I last checked your blog because of all the things you have stitched! But it hasn't been that long, right?
Love all the New things on your blog. You have been One Happy Stitching machine! LOL
Hugs

Berit said...

OMG I love it all especially Ziggy and that little sewing stitchery! Wonderful Signature you've added, too! :D So looking forward to seeing it all done up on the wall-hope you'll favor us with a pic when the work's done!