background

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Boo!

"Jack O Lantern"
Casey Buonaugurio Designs
JCS Halloween Issue 2010
Can you guess what arrived in my mailbox this week? I am in full on Halloween mode now and can't seem to stop. I stitched this little ornament first as I knew it would be quick and easy. Of course I had no orange fabric so I made a little date with Mr. Rit Dye and "oranged" some 28 count evenweave. It was only after I started stitching that I notice the dark orange spot where the dye didn't dissolve well but that didn't stop me from stitching on. I used DMC floss. I am currently working on "By the Full Moon" from the same magazine and there are 4 or 5 more that I really would like to stitch from this issue. My LHN sampler month charts have arrived as well but I am only wanting to stitch Halloween right now so September might be a little late in arriving at my house. :o)
In the garden we will pick the last of the tomatoes this week and might have bell peppers for another week or two. DH's watermelon vines are taking over and we have lots of these little melons just starting to develop. I need to get the tomato vines out so I can prepare to plant a fall garden.

This little guy seemed to think the watermelon blossoms were just yummy. Note the wee tiny watermelon off to the right.

Of course I couldn't be outside taking pictures without Lola's "music" to accompany me. Oh my aching ears! I have really noticed this week how the gray fur is starting to invade her face. I just tell her to "join the club girlfriend". (For the record, my gray hair is on my head - not my face. Thank you very much.) She is 7 years old this month so I suppose it is to be expected.

I hope you are all having an enjoyable weekend. I have no plans for today so I might just finish up that 2nd Halloween ornament. :o) Potatoes Au Gratin in the crock pot and a steak thawing in the fridge. Sounds like a fat, filling, and lazy day for me.

19 comments:

natalyK said...

Myra, I love your halloween ornament. Too Cute! I also love this issue of JCS and have stitched one and am working on the second. Happy Stitching.

Mary said...

Myra, your pumpkin is adorable. I love the dyed fabric! Aren't the ornies in the Halloween issue great? I finally got some relaxing stitching time in last night for the first time in a few weeks...stay tuned for my "blog return" You have been lucky with your garden this year. Nothing beats home grown!
Lola is her usual cute self just saying (loudly) how much she loves you:) Hope you have a relaxing, stitchy day(*HUGS*)

Irene said...

Cute ornament.

Crispy said...

Very cute!! You will be well ahead of Halloween this year :0) That Lola, what a cutie LOL

Crispy

Daffycat said...

Oh Myra, this is adorable! Your dye job looks great too...isn't RIT a project saver? I only really enjoy stitching on certain fabrics so dye comes in handy when I need that special color.

My Halloween issue hasn't arrived yet ~ waaaahhh!

Blu said...

That's a cute ornie.
I have to say the dyeing looks pretty even to me. Great colour, too.

Jane said...

It's a really fun ornament Myra, I love it when the Halloween pumpkin faces are jolly like this one.
Your fabric preparation is fab, I'm yet to try your method with berries, blackberries were all ready to use in the fridge but unfortunately they shouted 'eat me' last night and that was the last anyone saw of them!!!
Gorgeous Lola, she looks real fun xxx

Carol said...

I think the JCS Halloween issue is just great this year, too, Myra--love this little orange cutie that you stitched. Great job on the dyeing, too :)

You are lucky to be able to plant a fall garden--ours is winding down with just a few pumpkins and tomatoes left. Our leaves have even started to fall due to the lack of rain during this hot month--seems more like October around here with the crunchy leaves underfoot.

Looking forward to seeing your next Halloweeny finish :)

Tracey said...

Cute finish! And I love the pics!

carol fun said...

What a cute jack-o-lantern! I love the corded finish. I hope you had a lazy day filled with stitching!

Deborah said...

Myra, what a great finish! You did a good job with dying. Dying kinda scares me. I also plan on doing a bunch of the ornies as well. Your lazy day sounds perfect to me.

Berit said...

Oh, you know I love this! My heart keeps saying "Halloween!" But my stitchy fingers keep wandering to Christmas Ornaments! :P

What a great finish, and I can't wait to see your next one (forget the title but I think it just might be my favorite. The Plum Street is also pretty fab, though!)

PunkiePie said...

what a cute, cute pumpkin. I just love it. And Lola... adorable!

Pumpkin said...

How ADORABLE is that!!!! Oh, I can't wait to get my issue because you just KNOW I'm going to stitch that one :o) Great job with the fabric dyeing Myra!

Love the picture of Lola :o)

Karen said...

This one looks a lot better stitched ...I didn't even notice it in the magazine! great finish...

Shelleen said...

Boo is a cute piece :-)

mainely stitching said...

Our new neighbors' THREE dogs keep me company every time I step outside my door now. And I thought our dogs barked a lot.... Your Lola looks lovely with her graying muzzle. :)

Lois said...

What a cute piece! Looking forward to seeing your next Halloween finish! Love the pics!

Conny said...

When you can take a look at the weather here then you're ready for autumn and Halloween. The ornies are cute!