background

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Is the weekend over already?

When I have to work on Saturday the weekend just seems to fly by. Who decided that the work week was to be 5 days and the weekend only 2? I think it should be the other way around, don't you? (With the same pay of course, ahem).

I am finding myself in a state of stitchy indecision. I want to start on a larger piece but I can't decide what I want to stitch. I want to do another patriotic piece but autumn things keep calling my name and Christmas is not so far away and the next LHN samplers will be here soon and then there is the JCS Halloween issue on the way .....argh! Do you ever find yourself in this quandary?

Thankfully I have the BBD Honeysuckle Manor book and managed to occupy myself with a couple of itty bittys found there. This is the Antique Pin Ball pattern using HDF 35 ct mystery linen and HDF BeGrimed Floss. I pulled out my paints, minwax stain, and shoe polish again and went to work on these napkin rings.
And the back side. :o) While working on the black one I had the idea these would make cute Christmas ornaments for the tree.

A little red paint and ribbon makes for a totally different look. :o)

I think I should have used something besides stark white linen but that is what landed in my hands. The next one will be tea dyed or something to make it look a little more aged to match the wood piece. I used HDF Perfect Red floss for this one.

"Autumn Minis - Cat"
Waxing Moon Designs
And finally to satisfy my hunger for an autumn design, this one seemed to suit. I used a combination of WDW and DMC floss on 28 ct tea dyed Monaco. Now I can't decide how I want to finish it.

So there you have it - a bit of everyday, Christmas, Autumn, and Halloween all rolled into a couple of weeks of stitching. LOL


We continue to harvest tomatoes from the garden along with plenty of fresh herbs. DH planted 3 watermelon plants very late in the season and lo and behold we have a 6 inch watermelon on one of the vines. I have never planted watermelons so I hope we have at least one make it to maturity. I am already thinking about what I want to plant in my fall garden, will have to get busy with that soon.

Enjoy what is left of the weekend my friends and I hope you have a fabulous week!

18 comments:

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

I am often in that quandry, Myra! Nothing is calling me too loudly at the moment.

Love your ornament finishes. They turned out really great!

The Halloween finish is darling! I'm sure you'll pick the perfect finish technique.

We are still getting tomatoes - I think I ate 4 of them today! Love 'em!

Have a great week!

Daffycat said...

I'd be more than willing to work five days if I could have a five-day weekend too...

Love that Autumn Mini Cat...surely you will create a long pillow or a hanging ornament for the Ziggy table???

Carol said...

I worked yesterday, too, Myra, so I know exactly how you feel about the quick weekend!

Your napkin ring finishing idea is wonderful--I'll have to file that one away for future use...All four of your finishes are so cute--love the red and white gingham ribbon on the Christmas ones.

Your spooky cat finish is one of my favorites. I did this one (and actually finished it!!) a couple of years ago. He makes an annual appearance every October. Have you showed it to Ziggy yet?

Ooh, watermelons...lucky you! I spotted two pumpkins in our garden today and I was so excited--fall is almost here :)

Deborah said...

I love the ornies. They came out beautifully. Happy belated Anniversary.

Crispy said...

Well you certainly have gotten things done!! I think we just have too many projects and can't settle down to just one....isn't it wonderful? LOL

Crispy

Catherine said...

What sweet finishes! I am itching to get started on some fall smalls as well!

Dani - tkdchick said...

I whole heartedly agree the weekend is never long enough... especially when its a busy one!

How creative to use napkin rings!

Great little finish.

staci said...

I love your Quaker pinballs! And that little black cat is adorable!

Ranae said...

I just love the finishes.
What a cute and creative idea for napkin rings
Thanks for sharing

PunkiePie said...

Love those ornaments!

Kathy A. said...

Those are some cool ornaments. They will look lovely hanging on a tree.
Love the Halloween stitch too. Yep, I think you have it all covered. I wonder what season you will decide on this week.

Blu said...

Your ornie finishes are really cool. I love the black one! Perfect for Halloween.
I'm been wallowing in stitching indecision. I think I made it worse by starting a bunch of stuff and then getting bored with all of it!

Berit said...

I'd never know that you couldn't decide--you've made so much GREAT stuff! :D

And, I feel really similarly about what seasonal finishing. OF course I want to stitch Hallowe'en...But I want a couple of Christmas Ornaments for sure this year...and then I have a really nice quaker that's starting to call me! lol. Maybe what's calling the loudest is that BBD Mystery which I don't even have, lol!

Mary said...

Your finishes are really clever. You're a wiz with your fun ideas and paints!
The cat does say Fall and Halloween! Can't wait to see him finished "Myra Style."
My stitching is on a hiatus with all the kids moving back to school Lookout!....next week is coming with hopefully lots of "me" time for my beloved stitching(*HUGS*)

Pumpkin said...

That's what those are! I would have never thought :o) So cute and so quick.

I think you should make this one a cube :o) Nicely done Myra.

I'm so jealous of those who have gardens. I really miss fresh veggies.

Lois said...

What a clever idea to use napkin rings! These look great! Love your autumn finish. I am increasingly wanting to stitch in the autumn colours that I love so much. Hope you get inspiration soon on what your next project will be.

marylin & poussy said...

Hi your embroidery are magnificent I write you of France here we have no black and red supports for you to put the embroidery with the bird where have him(it) you buy?
I like your dog!
Embroiderer's best regards marylin

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Myra,

Those Itty Bittys are wonderful! They do make perfect Christmas Ornaments. :)
Your Autumn Cat is great too. Love the colors on the piece.

Hugs