background

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Photos

This is part of the reason my photos are never of very good quality. I embarked upon an outside photo shoot this morning. I "try" to set things up a bit so you don't get just a boring shot of my stitching. Well, obviously Miss Lola had other plans. She barked constantly the entire time I was trying to take pictures. She may only weigh 43 pounds but let me tell you she has a 100 pound bark. Talk about jangling the nerves! Hence the sometimes blurry, not quite centered photos. (Yes, I did play ball with her after my 2-1/2 minute photo shoot. 2-1/2 minutes is about all I could take of her barking!)
After finishing up Wash Day I felt the need for some fall/Halloween stitching. I finished up the piece for a private autumn exchange and moved right along to this Halloween Sampler by Lizzie Kate.
As you know, I recently traded for a copy of BBD Honeysuckle Manor. In this book there is a small sampler finished using a wooden frame from Hobby Lobby. I thought it was such a neat finish I immediately ordered some of these very reasonably priced frames. In the past I have dabbled in painting so out came the acrylic paints, brushes, and stain and I went to work as the frame was the perfect size for this little sampler. I am quite happy with this finish. I was a bit troubled because when I stacked heavy books on the piece to allow the glue to set, it smooshed the stitched piece and made it all wonky on the sides. Now that I have had time to look at it for a while I rather like the wavy, sorta spooky feel it gives to the piece.
We have been enjoying somewhat cooler weather here. Still not cool, but not 98 degrees either. I have a pork roast all rubbed down to go on the grill later today. My garden is still producing plenty of tomatoes and cucumbers so I think a big salad will be on the menu as well. I hope you are having a splendid Sunday filled with restful stitching. :o)

17 comments:

April Mechelle said...

Looks like Miss Lola just wants you to play with her more ! LOL
I love that LK Halloween! Do did great on that frame. I am going to have to try painting me some frames.

Karen said...

I love the finish. I like the "wonkiness" of it too....suits the finish of the frame. Great idea...another I will have to "steal".

natalyK said...

Beautiful finish! I love the way you painted the frame. Perfect for this little sampler.

Berit said...

Oh, Myra--It's SO utterly gorgeous! And, your finishing is perfect; I agree about the spooky waves! Did you wind up using DMC or did you use the overdyeds?

Love it!

P.S. Please pass the salad!

Irene said...

I would never had noticed the sides, they suit this piece.

Mary said...

Myra, The new quilt background is so colorful and pretty!
Your Halloween sampler finish couldn't be better....these things take on a life of their own, don't you think?
As for the puppy pics...mine barks at the camera too, and runs away. (same with the ironing board) It's worse than trying to take a group picture(of people)where everyone looks good at the same time! :) (*HUGS*)

Blu said...

Your Halloween Sampler is very cute. And the frame and the smooshed effect is just perfect for it.

Deborah said...

The LK finish is gorgeous! The frame looks great. Lola looks darling even if she did bark. Sammi tries to hide from the camera.

Crispy said...

Very cute piece, love the little ghost charm :0)

Lola just wanted to play, good grief mom, the football is RIGHT THERE!!!!

Crispy

Carol said...

Hi Myra--Oh, that Miss Lola has to be the center of attention, doesn't she! Doesn't she realize the importance of stitching :)

Love your little Halloween LK--that little ghost charm is too cute! And the colors are perfect--especially the purple lettering. It looks just great in your hand-painted frame...

I'm sure your pork roast was wonderful--no one cooks pork better than you North Carolinians!!

mainely stitching said...

Aw, you have a Lola, too!! That's so funny. :D

The furbabies are VERY hard to get good photos of, I agree!

Conny said...

You're ready for the Halloween? It's a cute little piece! The washday is a different kind of design from CHS but it's really lovely. I have to hurry to stitch mine.

Littlebit said...

Love your little Halloween sampler, and I think it being a little "wonky" just adds to the charm of it. Beautiful job.

Shelleen said...

the Halloween piece is cute. I have a big dog who hates his picture being taken as well. he runs and hides.

Dani - tkdchick said...

That's a very creative and one of a kind frame job there! Well done!

PunkiePie said...

I love that Halloween sampler. I like that the witch's hat isn't black but a funky aqua and yellow!

Pumpkin said...

So cute! I think you did a lovely finishing job Myra :o)

Lola is adorable!