background

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Treasure Hunting

Hi dear friends! I am still recuperating from two days with 8 houseguests and about to return to normal. I was so glad to see and spend time with my in-laws, niece, and nephews and am happy to report that Earl spared their area. When they returned home yesterday they called to say it didn't even look as if a storm had been nearby.

A big thank you to everyone for the comments and well wishes on my last post and for entering my giveaway. I am still thinking of what to put into the box - I have lots of ideas. If you haven't entered, there is still plenty of time.

DH and I decided to stroll through the flea market today. We were looking for a saw to cut down a cedar in our front yard that is leaning quite precariously over our driveway. (Actually, DH was looking for a saw. I had other treasures in mind. LOL) DH did find his saw for $2.00 and I was rewarded with these for my $3.00 investment. :o)

I found the beautiful hand crocheted table scarf first. It is quite large and will be very pretty draped over my mantle. I can't help but think of all the work someone put into this beauty and I was able to purchase it for $1.00. At another booth I spotted the little book first and didn't ask the price because I thought it would be more than my $5.00 budget could stand. I then saw the skeleton key and paid $1.00 for it. Then I asked the price of the book and he said I could have it for $1.00 too. It was a day for dollars and I have 2 dollars left over for my next treasure hunt. :o)
Here is a picture of the inside showing the dedication. The copyright is 1906. I thought it was in amazing condition to be 104 years old. The leather binding shows very little wear and the ribbon page marker is still intact. When I find these old things I always try to imagine what the stories behind them might reveal. I have to wonder if John T. Pullen was a pastor and gave these as gifts to new members of his church. And where did he live? I might just have to do a little research to see if I can find a little more information on John T. Pullen. I was thrilled to have found these little treasures and am happy to give them a second life in my home.

Lola stayed inside for this photo session while my little familiar Ziggy acted as my assistant. Poor Ziggy has had another encounter with yellow jackets or fire ants, not sure which, but he has lots of little bumps and scabs on his ears. Crazy cat is so curious he will stuff his face in any hole he thinks might house a critter and sometimes he gets a big surprise.

I hope you are all able to enjoy a long Labor Day weekend. I have tomorrow off and am hoping to spend a little more time at the sewing machine.

12 comments:

carol fun said...

Time spent with family can be such fun, but its nice to get back to "normal" life too! You did very well for yourself at the flea market. I love little treasures like the book - makes you wonder about its history. Have a great Labor Day!

Deborah said...

Love the flea market finds! Have a great rest of the holiday weekend.

Crispy said...

All of my interior door have those skeleton type locks. Most of them still work too. Flea markets are so much fun to wander through :0)

Crispy

Berit said...

Ooh; what fun treasures! Poor little Ziggy--but he does not look as though he's deterred from the hunt in any way! :P

Have a great day off and glad to hear your relatives' place was quite safe.

Karen said...

What great little finds. I especially like the book...what a great little treasure with the dedication. Hope you can find some info on it.

Amy said...

Oh love your finds, esp. the key! I love old keys! Let us know if you find any info on the book. Hope you enjoy sewing today - can't wait to see what you make! :)

Have a great day Myra!

Mary said...

What great finds Myra. Their history gives you a lot to wonder about. I see the key in a "Myra finish" some one of these days!

Poor Ziggy...he's had a close encounter of the "bad kind." Hope he "learns" soon and heals quickly.

Happy Labor Day weekend...hope it's restful and full of stitching for you:)
(*HUGS*)

Catherine said...

What great treasures!! Last week my little guy bought himself some skeleton keys at a flea market. He's seen my collection and wanted to start his own!

Hope Ziggy is feeling better!

Carol said...

Just got back from NY and found I had missed not one, but two posts by you, Myra! Your little Ziggy reminds me so much of my Shadow--oh, how I miss him!

What fun finds--at such great prices! I'm glad you were able to find out more information on the inscriber (is that a word?!)...

Glad to hear all was well with your relatives--that was so nice of you to house them during the Earl scare. Glad all was spared in their area.

Lois said...

What nice finds Myra! I'm sure the house seemed very quiet once your houseguests left. I'm glad they were spared any damage.

Daffycat said...

Poor Ziggy! Cats just like to create trouble, I think!

Pumpkin said...

Wow! You did REALLY well! That is so neat to find something that old and wonder where it came from :o) Everything has a story...