background

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Mobile Happy Chair :o)

Several years ago I won a quilt contest and my prize was a quilted portfolio.  It was designed to carry everything you needed to do hand applique or quilting on small blocks.  When I fell in love with cross stitch again I found it to be the perfect thing to hold my current WIP with all the trimmings.  I have searched high and low over the course of several years for a pattern for this portfolio and have come to the conclusion that a pattern does not exist.  Earlier this week I broke out the sketch pad and rulers and started trying to figure out how to make a new one as my current one is showing signs of wear.
This is the outside with the portfolio closed.  There are two large pockets on each side that will hold a 8-1/2 x 11 chart, or magazine.

Here you can see the inside.  There is velcro at the top by the handles to keep it closed.
One side has a large pocket with a smaller pocket on top of it.  The large pocket is great for holding a chart and the smaller pocket works well for a small WIP or extra linen.
In the center is a clear vinyl zippered pouch perfect for holding your floss.
The other side has a large pocket which is divided into two compartments.  There is a piece of elastic running across the outside of the pocket for keeping things like stitchy gloves, rulers, and scissors in place.

I am absolutely thrilled that I was able to figure this out and thanks to Raffaella I had the perfect fabric for it.  I made this one a little larger than the original - the new one measures 13" wide x 11" tall when closed.  This is the "basket" that sits by my sofa and is very easy to grab in the morning so I can stitch a little on my lunch hour.  I really enjoyed making this and this time it is for ME!  LOL  It has been a loonnnnggg time since I have done any free motion quilting and it took me a while to get back in the groove.

I hope you are all having a pleasant weekend.  It was a beautiful fall day here in NC.  Now if my Panthers could just win a football game.......

24 comments:

Catherine said...

OOOHHHHH!!! Love it!!!

Julianne said...

Myra,

That looks great and very user friendly. Enjoy it!

Xangles said...

Hi, Myra - love it! So stylish and holds everything, saving you having to search for stuff when you decide on a bit of stitching
Pokua

DebbieSFL said...

Love it....so when are you going to make a tutorial for us to make one for ourselves!!!! LOL

Missy Ann said...

That looks fantastic, you did a great job!

Kathy A. said...

Good for you! I never doubted you would be able to figure it out.
You have done a wonderful job!

BeckySC said...

You are just so smart and talented my friend :)
((hugs))

Cole said...

Gorgeous!! Don't you love the challenge of "Hmmm, I could do that!"?? Good job!

Crispy said...

Very cool tote. I have one I bought but it isn't nearly as functional as yours. What are stitchy gloves?

Crispy

Daffycat said...

Oooo, you are just TOO clever by far! This looks so handy and that paisley fabric is really yum.

p.matejcek said...

Very nice!! you are so talented, Pat

Faye said...

Totally genious~~~~ I LOVE every aspect of the "travelling happy chair"!~~ AND its paislye!!! OMGoodness you thought of everything and I can see you walking through the room, reaching over and picking it up knowing you have everything you need right there!!!! Good job Myra~~

PS: Thanks for stopping by blog and wishing me happy birthday...It truly was a fantastic day!!! Take care, Faye

Carol said...

I am sitting here in awe, Myra!! You did such a beautiful job on your newest creation--the design, the fabric, the stitching are all superb! Do I see an Etsy shop in your future? You could easily sell these :)

Lisa said...

Myra, this is fantastic, It is a really great creation, well done you
I love it

valerie said...

Beautiful traveling happy chair. You did a wonderful job with it!!

Mary said...

Myra,
You have sooo much talent to look at something and make it your own!
I love the fabric, everything is right at your fingertips and it's custom made BY you FOR you!
Would you consider selling these?
Every stitcher's dream on the go! (*HUGS*)

Deborah said...

Myra, i love everything about your porfolio. The fabric is gorgeous and the organization is wonderful! Another great job.

Lois said...

What a fantastic job you did with this Myra! It looks wonderful!

Kathy said...

What a fabulous "basket"!! I love it. Fantastic job well done.

Barbara said...

You are insanely talented! I love it!

Pumpkin said...

Oh-my-goodness!!!! You are just brilliant Myra! Love it, love it, love it :o) No wonder you are so proud. LOL!

PunkiePie said...

Very cool, Myra. I love the fabric you used.

Berit said...

You could so totally sell these--though I bet the labor is too intensive.


Awesome!

Carolyn NC said...

Wonderful job on this - lovely finish! I'm so with you on the Panthers (I'm in NC, too). But there's always hope....