background

Monday, November 15, 2010

Flashback

Before I get to the flashback part, several of you asked about the Dirty Santa game I mentioned in my last post.  The way we play it at our company Christmas party is a bit different than the original but it sure is fun. Everyone brings five wrapped gifts, each valued at around $1.00. Then we take turns rolling a set of dice. If you roll a 7 or 11 you get to choose a gift OR you can steal a gift from someone else. We usually play quite a few rounds before we start stealing gifts and sometimes there are a couple of the $1.00 gifts that are quite coveted. It makes for a good hour of fun and fellowship after our meal without a lot of expense. I have played it before where each person brings one larger gift valued around $20.00 and the premise is the same.  When it is your turn you can choose a wrapped gift or steal someone else's gift.  So there you have it - Dirty Santa in a nutshell.  Now, what were you thinking?  ;o)

This weekend my son and I ventured into our storage building in an attempt to find our Lord of The Rings books.  He decided he wanted to read them again and I just knew they were in that building somewhere.  After opening and inspecting every box there were no LOtR books to be found but I did come across this:


Back in the early 1990's I enjoyed drawn thread work.  This is "Miniature Drawn Thread Sampler" by Linda Driskell stitched on 25 ct Dublin Linen using two sizes of pearl cotton.  I finished this one in 1994 and is one of the few pieces I have had professionally framed complete with suede mats.   I don't know why it has the word miniature in the title as it is far from mini in my book - the piece measures 6" x 14".
It was really tough to get a good picture through the glass but this closeup gives you some idea of how intricate this thing really is.  I can hardly believe I stitched it myself and I am still very proud of it.  It is now hanging on a wall in my dining room.  
I did a little googling and found that this book is still in print.  I have my old, battered, been in storage for 16 years copy and if anyone wants to give it a try I would be happy to send it along to you.  I know I won't be stitching another of these anytime in the near or distant future. 

P.S.  I ended up requesting the Lord Of The Rings books from Paperbackswap.com. 

14 comments:

Chris said...

Myra,
That sampler is beautiful.

Pumpkin said...

Very intricate work Myra! I've never learned to do this type of embroidery.

Dirty Santa sounds like fun :o)

Blu said...

What gorgeous work!

Deborah said...

Beautiful work, Myra!

Lois said...

Gorgeous Myra! Such intricate work.

Carol said...

What an amazing piece, Myra--I know I would never have the nerve (or talent!) to tackle such precise work. It really is gorgeous and I'm glad you "rescued" it from your storage building!

Deb said...

That is an absolute piece of art! I hope that you have put it up to look at. It's just beautiful.

Crispy said...

WOW that is gorgeous!! I can't believe you packed it away into storage. After my horrible attempt at hardangar, there is no way I would try something that intricate!!

Crispy

Catherine said...

What a stunning piece! I don't think I would be able to tackle that type of work!

I'm sure it is much happier in your dining room than in a storage shed.

Terri said...

Just stunning! I've looked at that design many a time and wonder if I have the 'experience' to stitch it.

Karen said...

What a great treasure to uncover!

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Myra,

I have played the Dirty Santa Game and it is fun! LOL

Hugs

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

That is BEAUTIFUL!!

Jenilee said...

This is amazing! Wonderful work. I have been trying to find more information on drawn thread work, but it doesn't seem to be doing much in the States right now (except hardanger). I know this is several years old, but if you happen to still have the pattern, I would love to be the one it gets passed along to! ;)