background

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow Days

We got the snow and ice they predicted - not to the extent they proposed but enough to keep me from going to work for the past two days.  The roads are very icy now as we had lots of sleet and freezing rain on top of the snow.  You would think I had lots of stitchy time but for some reason I couldn't sit down and focus for any length of time.  Oh, well - I'll get there eventually.

Do you ever become somewhat obsessed with wanting to stitch or sew something?  And why is it with me that the thing I desire usually involves a fabric that is no longer manufactured or a chart that is no longer in print?! 

First there was "Halloween Queen" by Notforgotten Farm.  I looked high and low, couldn't find it at any of my usual online shops.  I stalked the bay of evil for some time hoping I might find the chart there.  Finally, I found one online shop that had it listed on their site.  I ordered it and I waited....and waited...and waited....  The shop owner emailed me to tell me they were having trouble getting it.  After 3 months I had resigned myself to the fact it wasn't going to happen and then one day - voila!  the pattern arrived in the mail.  Now, I have yet to stitch the pattern but by golly I have it in my hot little hands when I am ready!

Then there was "Where My Heart Blooms" by Blackbird Designs.  Of course by the time I saw this and fell in love with it the chart was out of print and selling for exhorbitant prices on all the auction sites.  I bid on a couple of the patterns, up to my limit which was more than I had ever paid for a pattern of any kind and lost the auction every time.  Then, after about 6 months of this another one was at auction with floss and fabric .  The rest as you know is history.  I still have to get it framed but it remains my favorite of all the things I have stitched.

Finally, for Christmas Carol sent me the cutest snowman ornament I have ever seen.  I just loved everything about it but I think the thing that really gets me is that little candy cane looking border.  Becky had also stitched a couple of ornaments from this booklet and posted beautiful finishes on her blog.   I decided this Christmas I shall have a small tree with just the Prairie Schooler ornaments from this booklet.  Carol very kindly offered to let me borrow her pattern but I knew it would take me all year to stitch these and I really didn't want to take her pattern for such a long time.   So off I went with my surfing fingers to my usual online stores.  WAHHHHHH!  No one had it!  It was all sold out everywhere I looked.  I visited the bay of evil - nothing.  I dug deeper and deeper in the google results page.  Found a couple of sites that had it listed but upon an email inquiry - nada - didn't have it and couldn't get it.  Then I saw it listed on The Stitch Stores's website.  I ordered it fully expecting an email or a phone call telling me it was sold out.  They called...I thought oh no!...but....they needed my CC number as it didn't come through on the order form!   Happy Dance!
Here he is waiting for all his Santa & Snowman buddies to join him.  :o)

So, what pattern are you obsessed with right now?  Is it out of print?  Maybe I can help!  LOL

25 comments:

Pumpkin said...

Gee, you are one good tracker! If I come up with a pattern I need, I might come to you for help ;o)

Teresa S. said...

This was an excellent post, Myra! You are quite the stitching detective :) I am looking for 2 older Prairie Schooler's #84 & #85Friends and Friends #2 (or More Friends, not sure on #85 title). I'll bet someone has them put away and would be willing to sell or trade? Thanks for thinking of this!

Catherine said...

I guess we all know who to call when we need help finding a pattern!! It will be fun to see you give the snowman friends!

Chris said...

Myra,
Glad you are home safe and warm. I am glad that you have finally tracked down the chart. I have not been that obsessed with any charts. Prairie schoolers charts are my favorites. I always buy the new ones. I think that I have most of them. I am always using those charts to personalize other stitching that I do.
Have a good night.

Kathy A. said...

Wow, you are one tenacious hunter. I must remember that the next time I go looking for a pattern. Congratulations on finding your wished for pieces.

Berit said...

That's some good pattern-finding success! :o

My favorite on that PS chart is the Lantern Santa--I just love how he looks like he's drownging in that beard--plus there's a lantern, lol! Be sure to stitch that one so I can admire it on that tree you're planning, okay? ;)

I also like the in profile with reindeer one. Really, isn't PS just swell? We're getting the snow here tonight, so I'm glad to hear you're safe and warm! I need to hustle 'round and get some provisions before it sets in--I think a pulled-meat something in the crockpot MAY be in order! :D


Obsessed charts--I'm pretty distracted with thinking I need to stitch on that model. I'm still having a love/hate with good 'ol Mystery--we shall see! Another set I've got my beady eye on is the first three AoTH. For some reason, I feel pretty neutral about the others--wonder if it'll all "click" for me when I see the finale?

Jennifer said...

I know all too well what you mean about those pesky OOP charts. I'm in the process of trying to acquire all of the Blackbird Design's Loose Feathers charts. I have #21 - #40. It's just those early charts that elude my grasp (and my check card). Still, I stalk the "bay of evil" regularly these days. Recently I was able to acquire #6 and #12 for a bargin. I don't think that the seller of #12 knew what he/she had since I got it for a cool $7! Now I just have to find #1-5, #10, #13-#15, #17, #19 and #20. Oh......and the cost has to fit my check card too!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

You may have a sideline job of tracking down charts for folks! The one I'm obsessed with right now is the one on my blog, Marianne Wrenn. I ordered fabric today from Elegant Stitch and can't wait to start it.

Robin said...

Glad you were able to track down the charts you needed! I love the PS one you found! You can't go wrong in exchanges by stitching Prairie Schooler designs!

Stay warm and safe!

Deb said...

Oh goodness, don't offer your services or we'll probably all be knocking on your door trying to find that pattern we just have to have. Glad that you were able to track down your chart. It's a great one.

carol fun said...

Myra - you are soooooo tenacious! Good job finding the pattern. Well you know that my "gotta have it" was the "Where my Heart Blooms" that I got from you- I LOVE that sampler. There are still a couple of BBD charts I'd love to have and I have found one or two here and there on ebay and other sites but not for the prices I want to pay. So I'll keep looking. Right now I'm pretty content with my stash but I'm sure that another one of those "gotta have it" charts will cross my path again- Stay safe and warm - happy stitching!

Jan said...

Myra, you are so funny...but I am betting that most of us have been that way about a certain chart/fabric/fiber that seems so elusive!! Love that you found the PS chart, I too love that candy cane like border, really sets them off!

I personally can't wait for The Goode Huswife to start back designing, cuz I have been seeing lots of her things that I MUST have and don't! lol

Stay safe and warm!

Conny said...

That PS chart is certainly beautiful. Cann't wait to see the ornies in your tree next year.

For sure I can use some help with some LF from BBD. I try for some years to get them with Ebay but they are so expensive. Still watching and hoping.......

Wilma NC said...

Glad you found it. Those patterns look fun.

Pointed Stitcher said...

You certainly are deligent, I think I give up way too easily.

Carol said...

I'm thrilled that you found the chart, Myra and that it arrived so quickly. Will you be starting to make the snowman's friends for him right away?

I've stitched two designs from that chart and given them both away--guess it's time to make one to keep... I'm so glad you're enjoying my gift! A little tree filled with the same design will be so cute--can't wait to see it :)

Crispy said...

Boy you must live a charmed life!! It's really amazing you have found each of the patterns you wanted....you are a great hunter LOL.

Crispy

raffiec said...

Dear Myra - You have such awesome patience!! I would love to one day stumble upon BBD's Summer Harvest Needlebook & Pincusion. I see beautiful pictures of this one finished and then the green monster gets unleashed. LOL!

So glad to read your safe and warm.


Hugs,

Raffaella

:-)

sheravery said...

Hi Myra,
I saw Hands to Work 'This Is the Day' stitched on one of the blogs I read and fell in love with it. All of my searches have led to dead ends. Since you seem to be the 'Sherlock Holmes' of the needlework world, do you have any idea(s) where I could look to purchase or trade? BTW, I love the PS booklet you just got. I'd be doing the Happy Dance myself!

-Sherry-

Lois said...

Well done for tracking that PS chart down Myra! There are several GH charts out there that I oh so wish I'd bought when they were available and then there's a EE&F one, Primitive Tree, that I really kick myself that I didn't buy. I just always thought it would be around.

Lisa said...

well done on getting your PS chart Myra, you must be thrilled, I am seeking a few of the Goode Huswife charts that I keep seeing on blogs, I wish they would reprint them it's a shame they don't

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Oh Myra, I am so happy you found what you needed. You are the "Mrs. Sherlock Holmes" of finding Stitchery Patterns! VBG
I love that little snowman ornament. I did see there are some Santas on there too. (hint,hint)
:)
Hugs

Elaine said...

Glad you managed to track down your charts Myra. The Snowman Ornie from Carol is soooo pretty, can;t wait to see all the friends you make for him.

Jan said...

Love your snowman-you do such nice stitching! Can't wait to see the tree all done! I can't see well enough any more to do xs, so I'm really enjoying yours!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

bay of evil. LMAO!!!

I'm actually trying my hand at hand embroidery. My first block isn't half bad, if I do say so myself! I hope to have it finished tonight so that I can post it soon!