background

Thursday, March 17, 2011

A bit of spring

As soon as I saw the "Bloom Pincushion" by M Designs in the JCS March/April issue I knew I was going to stitch it or at least part of it.  I saw these itty bitty clay flower pots at Dollar General and the light bulb came on.  I stitched up one of the flower motifs, added a bit of rick rack, stuffed it with some polyfil, and shoved and glued it into this tiny flower pot.  I thought it turned out quite cute and it just screams spring to me.

Here is another view while it is hiding amongst my Italian Parsley that is coming back in my herb garden.  It is so nice to see the bright green amongst all the brown around here.  My Rosemary bush is perking up as is my Lavender.  It will be hot and humid here before we know it!

Are you seeing signs of spring where you are?  Our temps are supposed to be near 80 here tomorrow which is unusually warm for this time of year.  I am hoping to do a little gardening this weekend as well as picking up the million or so sticks that have fallen from the huge oak trees in my yard.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend filled with signs of spring.  :o)

22 comments:

Tammy said...

How creative!! It looks wonderful and very springy!

April Mechelle said...

That is a great idea Myra !! So cute !!!

CalamityJr said...

That's a great light bulb you have - that's a fantastic idea! And the flower pin you added goes perfectly. Great job!

Karen said...

OMG...what a cute idea!!! I loved that design too... think I will be off to the Dollar Store tomorrow to find me some clay pots!

Thanks for sharing....just too cute!!!!

Deborah said...

great idea, Myra! I will probably steal it. LOL It's going to be almost 70 tomorrow but on Saturday it will fall back to 45 and stay there for most of the week. I know spring is coming.

Christina said...

Ahhh, how cute, I love the colour of the fabric!
We're still getting frost early morning but the days are definitely getting warmer.

Lois said...

What a cute finish and what a great idea! We woke up to frost this morning but the sun is shining and it is meant to be a lovely day. Nowhere near 80 though!!

Crispy said...

That is a really cute pincushion!! We are getting signs of spring too, only 3 more feet of snow banks to melt LOL. We are into the low 40's and everyone is wearing light jackets and sweaters :0)

Crispy

Chris said...

So cute Myra! You are so talented.
Enjoy the spring weather. The kittens are keeping me busy :)

Wilma NC said...

That is sweet!!!!

Carol said...

Oh, what a darling little spring finish, Myra! You are so good at coming up with creative ideas like using the little flower pot!

Although it is warming up here, we are a long way from spring. Quite often our daffodils are blooming by this time and they are no where near ready yet. Enjoy your warm weekend and your time in the garden :)

Pumpkin said...

That is SO adorable Myra and what a great idea!

Oh PLEASE, send some of that warmer air up our way ;o)

JOLENE said...

So Cute! It reminds me of cupcakes in an ice cream cone.....yum! Adorable idea Myra, happy spring! Smiles....

Tracey said...

This is so cute, so glad my mom picked up this issue for me the other day! What do you use as filling? Thanks for the inexpensive idea to finish it. Pennies are tight these days.

Tracey said...

oops just saw where you said you filled it with polyfil. sorry about that!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

That is super cute!!

Friendship Crossing said...

What a darling way to finish a stitched piece Myra!!

How clever of you to add a garden theme to the piece ~ it's adorable!

Tanya

Pointed Stitcher said...

Lovely pincushion ;)

mainely stitching said...

That is SO cute!

Blu said...

What a clever finish! A plant not even I could kill!

Yesterday the weather was 5C, so I was just about to celebrate spring, but today was -21C, and tomorrow is supposed to be 7C...so I have no idea what's going on.
I just wear a ton of layers and then stuff half in my bag as I walk down the street if it's too much.

Daffycat said...

That is a darling little pincushion, Myra! I love the teeny little flower pot!

Sally said...

What a wonderful idea! So cute :)