background

Monday, May 30, 2011

Sew Productive

I thoroughly enjoyed my extra day off this weekend and spent most of it in the sewing room.  First up - a couple of ornaments for my patriotic tree.
 I have no idea where this fabric came from.  It was discovered in the last clean up/organization of my fabric stash.  I knew the minute I saw him that he was destined to be fussy cut and made into an ornament.  Luckily, the fabric contained mirror images so I was able to cut another for the back so that both sides are the same.  Doncha just love "Air Force One"?  Makes me grin every time I see it.
 This was a paper pieced mini quilt from Quiltmaker many moons ago.  It has been pieced and sitting in a drawer for at least 5, 6, 7? years.  I made a little quilt sandwich and quilted it and then zig zagged the feathery yarn stuff around the edge.  I don't know if I am "feeling" the feathery stuff - I may take it off and do something else to the edge.

I had depleted my stash of little gifts so for the past week or so I have been sewing up a few little things here and there.  I like to keep some things to have on hand for RAK's or when you just need to give a little something to someone.  
 The Lazy Girl Designs Wonder Wallet is one of my "go to" little gifts.  This is the only wallet I have carried for the past 3 years and I just love it.  I have given them to relatives and friends and every time I see them they tell me they are still enjoying theirs too.
You might recognize this fabric from my trip with Faye to Lynne's.  I just had to make something with these bright, happy colors.  Jen of Miss Punkie Pie allowed me to borrow her Maggie pattern so I made some matching sets.  (Thanks again Jen!)  The larger Maggies are the perfect size for a camera or cell phone and the small ones would make a great scissor case or card holder.   

I hope all of you had a wonderful weekend and enjoyed a little time doing what you love!

18 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Everything looks great, Myra!!!

Pumpkin said...

You definitely made good use of your holiday weekend! Everything looks fantastic Myra :o)

Daffycat said...

Cute ornaments, Myra!

You are too clever making gifts like that! Your little wallets and bags are wonderful. I love the bright cheerful colors and designs.

Faye said...

Pretty stuff Myra~!! yeah, I can post to blogger again!!!!

Kathy A. said...

very, very productive weekend!

Kathy A. said...

very, very productive weekend!

Jane said...

Gorgeous goodies Myra, the fabric colours are so cheery, you're so clever with needle and thread.
I'm loving the feathery trim on your mini-quilt ~ it looks like fluffy clouds against the blue skies xxx

Mouse said...

ooo you did have a fun weekend being creative :)love the air force one too :) not sure the fuzzy does it for me either ... and those wallets are tres cute :) love mouse xxxx

Carol said...

What perfect stitching for the Memorial Day weekend, Myra--both are so cute, but I really love Uncle Sam riding on the eagle! Your patriotic tree will be loaded--can't wait to see a photo.

And I know the recipients of your little wallets will be tickled to own one of your beautifully stitched items :)

Crispy said...

Love the ornaments, too cute that Uncle Sam has fireworks in his back pack LOL. Also LOVE the fabrics you used for the wallets!!

Crispy

natalyK said...

Beautiful sewing projects. I love the colors ou chose.

♥marylin♥ said...

juste merveilleux !
bisous de france

Mary said...

Fantastic job, Myra!
I love Air Force one, too.
Looks like you had a VERY productive stitchy weekend...

Your wallets will make cheery gifts. They are adorable!

*HUGS*

Friendship Crossing said...

Hey Myra,
Looks like you've been a busy gal once again! The ornaments turned out cute and those wallets are adorable.
I need to make some more too as I've been using up my stash for gifts a lot lately. Never can seem to get ahead, but now you've inspired me.
Tanya

Berit said...

What an awesomely productive weekend! The little pouches and etc are great!

I think I agree with you that I'm not sure about the trim on the pieced hanging. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

I feel like I've been going round and round with my little quilt. I wonder how many stitches I've ripped (I slice every 3rd one when ripping...)

Amy said...

Everything is just wonderful Myra - I LOVE the Californa Dreamin' fabrics - be sure to check my blog. I think we might be on the same wave length....

Hugs to you,
Amy

Karen said...

those are really pretty Myra! great job!!

Lisa said...

ooh! Myra those little purses are so cute, I love the fabric
I have a little cheap leather look zip purse, not as pretty as your ones but I do find it easier to manage when I have the walking stick to hold on to