background

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago

I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when the news came over the radio.  Watching the news this morning brings it all back to me as if it just happened yesterday.  May we never forget and always stand united in the face of tragedy and adversity.
I felt so helpless in the wake of the attacks yet so thankful that my family and friends were safe.  I needed something to calm my mind at the time and made this little quilted wallhanging as a sort of tribute to all those who lost their lives and as a reminder to me to never forget.  I call it "United".

The Labor Day weekend and following week was extremely busy for me but I did manage to fit in just a bit of stitching.  I have finished the smallest pieces from BBD's Casting A Spell.  I managed to goof up my spacing on the motif with my initial and will probably end up frogging the flower part and fixing it - it will bug me to no end if I don't fix it.  I will have to wait to do that because...the ABCD Traveling Pattern has arrived in NC!

I have decided to stitch this beauty on 28ct Raspberry Chocolate linen (doesn't just the sound of that make you drool?) with Belle Soie Bahama Breeze and Icing floss.  I have never stitched with Belle Soie but after reading rave reviews from many of you I just have to give it a try.  I plan to make a start on it today and hopefully have it on it's way to the next stitcher soon.

I must apologize because I haven't had time to visit many of your blogs this week - I am woefully behind again!  Maybe this week will be less eventful than the last and I can get caught up. 

I hope you all have a relaxing Sunday doing whatever it is your heart desires.  :o) 

10 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

It's a day in my brain that I will never forget as well. I was at work at the time of the attacks. What an awful day. I won't watch any of the footage today on the tragedy. I shed too many tears 10 years ago. On a lighter note, I can't wait to see your stitchery with the Raspberry Chocolate linen. Sounds delicious!

Sally said...

The only thing I remember is the sheer horror I felt at the images I was seeing on the TV over here. I never have the TV on during the day when I'm on my own so it was only switched on when the girls got in from school.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the La D Da piece.

Love your Casting a Spell:)

Mary said...

Yes, that was a day that changed us forever. I also remember that it was my oldest son's first day of high school in the city!
Your remembrance is lovely and unique, Myra

On a lighter note, have fun with the traveling pattern. I love the colors you have chosen and will be anxious to see it.

"Casting a Spell" looks great!

Have a good week ahead!

*HUGS*,
Mary

Ellen said...

The little designs are darlings, love them! Enjoy the Traveling pattern, the fabric looks yummy!

Hugs,

Catherine said...

So many memories and emotions today.

Your stitchy projects look great. Haven't had much time or energy recently myself.

Hugs!

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

very lovely

have a nice days

Pumpkin said...

Ohhhhh, I can't wait to see what yours will look like in these colors :o)

Yes, you have a great start to your BBD project.

Carol said...

Your tribute quilt is so special, Myra... It was a hard weekend to watch all those horrid and heartbreaking images replayed on television, wasn't it? I found myself in tears so often...

I love your color choices for the traveling pattern. I've never stitched with silk of any kind, but have just ordered some myself. Sorry you have to frog on your BBD monogram...But, I know you'll feel better about the end result!

Hope you're having a good, and less stressful, week :)

Mindi said...

I love your start on Casting a Spell. I can't decide what color linen to use, and Shepherd's Bush is waiting on the Confederate Grey to come in. Of course I can't start painting my box until I figure out what color the linen is going to be! I've gotten hooked on painting and waxing, you were right, its so much fun.

You'll love stitching with the Belle Soie.

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Love the 9-11 tribute stitchery!
I remember that date very well. :(
Did you just mention "Raspberry Chocolate? Oh my! :)
Love and hugs