background

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Thrifting

This past weekend I stopped at a little antique/junk shop.  I am always looking for the same things when I stop in these places - skeleton keys, flower frogs, oil cans, spools, bobbins, interesting containers.  In the past 3 years of looking everytime I stop I have found one key and one frog.  I was thrilled to walk in this little hole-in-the-wall place and discover these:

Isn't that copper one just fabulous!  This is of course after I had cleaned them up a bit.  I am debating on whether to clean the black one a little more or leave it as it.  I do believe Miss Becky was my lucky charm with these.  I think the one she sent me needed some friends.  :o)  Now to select the perfect piece to stitch and perch atop them.

The luck just kept coming for me when I won of  Nancy's wonderful drawings.  I won some of her chenille but the sweet, generous soul that she is also sent me a skein of her floss.  Nancy asked what color I wanted in the chenille and I told her it was all beautiful so to surprise me.

This red is GORGEOUS!  I can't wait to stitch up a little monochrome small of some sort with it and trim it with the chenille.  Thank you so much Nancy!
If you haven't experienced her trims and floss you need to run over to her blog and shop and check it out. 

I will leave you with a little progress pic of Sergei.  He is being stitched on 36 ct Vanilla Double Dip linen from Tree of Life Samplings with various overdyes and DMC.  I substituted the red in Sergei with WDW Lancaster Red because I wanted him to be a little redder.  :o)

Thank you all for your visits and kind comments.  I appreciate each and every one of you!

24 comments:

Nancy said...

Nice finds! Sergei is very handsome!

Judy said...

Love finding things in antique/junk stores!! Sergei is cute. I really like Nancy's thread and trims..she does a nice job.
Judy--heartland stitcher

Karen said...

What wonderful treasures you have found. I can't wait to see what creative finish you add to them


happy stitching....

Catherine said...

Great finds, great goodies and great stitches!

Ellen said...

Great finds, can't wait to see what u do with them

Congrats on your win, the red thread n trim are gorgeous!

Love Sergei!

Hugs,

Daffycat said...

Darling oil cans you found! And such wonderful trim and threads to win. What a great prize.

Oooo, I have this design in my wish list. Sergei looks wonderful! I can't wait until you get to the alphabet parts!

Shirlee said...

Wonderful finds, wonderful win, & wonderful Sergei : )

Cindy's Stitching said...

very pretty cardinal. love the oil cans.

Jackie said...

Love the red of the thread and trim! Gorgeous! Sergei is one i want to stitch too.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with the oil cans.

Deborah said...

Great finds! Sergei is looking quite good.

Mouse said...

ohhhh well done on the finds and the wins and the stitching .. I've got sergei in my to do pile :)
pretty good day all round I should say :) love mouse xxxxc

Chris said...

Congrats on your finds!
Sergei is looking wonderful, very sweet.

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Nice finds! Congrats on your win - Nancy's things are great. Sergei looks fine and dandy... I want to stitch him soon...

Vickie said...

There's that Sergei! Gotta love him! Sounds like you have great luck at antique shops, good for you! What a rush huh? I gotta stay out of those places, no dough!

Lynn said...

I love Nancy's chenille trims. I won a bunch earlier in the fall.
She has a variety of colours too.

Sergei looks wonderful! I love the darker red.

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

Your oil cans are very fun (I'd leave the black one as is) and the chenille and floss are a great color. Love your Sergei!

Berit said...

Sergei looks great (Lancaster Red is a favorite!), and I love your copper oil can, too!

Faye said...

Score! on those finds missy!! Sometimes things like that just kinda show up....I love them and you will find a way to put them to perfect use, I'm sure~~

Enjoy this unseasonal early summer feeling weather....Faye

Lois said...

What great finds Myra! The chenille and floss are a gorgeous red. Love Sergei! This one is in my stash and I so want to stitch him this year.

Carol said...

What fun finds, Myra, and I know you'll turn them into some very creative finishes! Sure wish I was there to go thrift shopping with you :)

Sergei is so handsome and your win from Nancy is great--enjoy!

Sally said...

Nice finds Myra. Can't wait to see what you create with them.

Congratulations on winning Nancy's giveaway. Her trims and threads are gorgeous.

Sergei is looking fantastic.

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

I love youe stitching ...

Patty C. said...

I love Sergei
& that red thread is gorgeous !!

Pumpkin said...

Congrats on your fabulous find Myra! And on your win too! Beautiful color.

Sergei looks very nice. I know what you mean about the red. I was a little surprised that he wasn't a little more on the red side myself.