background

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Blandwood

Hello everyone!  It is downright hot here in NC this weekend.  Yesterday our Sampler Group met in Greensboro to tour a local historical treasure - Blandwood Mansion.  It was a gorgeous day but with the heat I was glad our tour began early.
 I always enjoy seeing the flower and herb gardens at these old estates.  It just amazes me that these beautiful grounds sit right in the middle of the concrete of downtown Greensboro.
 It was great to see Chris again and DH came along with me.  He really enjoys touring these old homes and with our work schedules we seem to spend very little "fun" time together.

After our tour we headed over to Europa Cafe for lunch.  We had fun talking and laughing and the food was very good.
 DH had the Mussels Italiano - Mussels steamed with white wine, garlic, tomatoes, and Italian Parsley.  I snuck a few bites off his plate.  :o)
I enjoyed the Frenchie Burger - 10 oz of Angus Beef, bacon, cheddar cheese, tomato compote (awesome!), carmellized onions, lettuce, and herb mayonnaise.  (Gosh, just writing that made me hungry!)
After lunch the group headed over to the Greensboro Historical Museum but DH and I headed home.  We had some yard chores that needed to be done and a couple of errands we needed to run before the day ended.

On the stitching front I finished up the Bent Creek United kit Chris gifted me.  I chose to finish it with a little hanger and trimmed it with some chunky cording and topped it off with a bow.  I have it hanging on the wall beside my patriotic tree.

I would love to pass this chart along to someone else who would like to stitch it.  If you are interested, just leave a comment and make sure you say you want to be included in the drawing.  I'll have the random number thingy choose someone in a few days.

I hope you are enjoying your weekend and wish you a fabulous week ahead!  Just be sure to take time to smell the flowers.  :o)

22 comments:

DebbieSFL said...

Would love to have my name included in the drawing for the patriotic birds--they are so cute!! Thanks.

Simple Pleasure said...

Myra
Thank you for the link to Blandwood Mansion...I enjoyed learning the history.
Your patriotic finish is wonderful...please include me in the drawing...thank you!
Taking time to smell the flowers...
Patricia

Karen said...

What a cute finish! I just love the flowers. Makes me think I need to get in the garden too... guess I will just "think" about it while I stitch. :)

Marilyn said...

Thanks for the pics of Blandwood Mansion. Lunch looked good too! :)
I would like to be included in your drawing please.
Thanks!
Marilyn

robindefender said...

Wow! That's a great photo of Blandwood. It was wonderful meeting you yesterday. The little patriotic birdies are cute. Please count me in on your drawing.

Chris said...

Oh Myra! I love the way you finished the Bent Creek piece. It looks great.
Yesterday was such a nice outing. I am glad that you got to meet some of my other favorite stitchers.
Did you get your spices? After I left GSO I stopped at Walmart to get Rich's fruitloops with marshmallows then came home and made a ham and cheese quiche. Yum.
Now, if I could just settle down to stitch!?! ARRGH!
I hope that you are having a great Sunday and that next week isn't too hectic.
It was wonderful to meet Jerry!
Hugs!

CalamityJr said...

Love your finish of United. Please include me in your drawing, but I can't promise I can finish it as well. :)

Frances said...

What a darling Bent Creek pattern! I would love to be entered in your drawing! If I win, please send one of those great big burgers along with it!!! Yum!!
Thanks!
fnelson1@comcast.net

Barb said...

Looks like the makings of a wonderful day! I'd love to be included in the drawing. The phlox are lovely!

Ellen said...

The food sure looks yummy! Glad that you n DH have a lovely time together!

Your patriotic finish is gorgeous!

Hugs,

Shirlee said...

What beautiful photos! I love the Bent Creek United stitching ... haven't seen that one before : )

Becky said...

Myra, what a great finish to the Bent Creek project! You always have such creative ways of putting just that last right touch on your pieces. I would love to be included in your drawing! Many thanks!

Carol said...

How nice that you and your husband both went on the tour of Blandwood, Myra! What a neat looking place... I know just what you mean about finding time to spend "fun" time together. It's very hard this time of year, especially...

Love your little patriotic piece--and your finish is perfect... Sure hope your work week goes well; it won't be long until you have a little vacation :)

Vickie said...

What a great day! Love your finishing. May I please be included in the drawing for United? Thank you Myra. :)

Vera said...

Hi Myra, Great finish! Please don't include me...as you know I have way too many patterns to stitch. What a great tour and lunch looks like it was fabulous. Now I'm hungry!! Vera

Mouse said...

ohhh gosh now I am hungry for your burger ....

lovely place you visited and glad you enjoyed some you and DH time together doing fun stuff ....

nice finish of the wee bird piece too :)
love mouse xxxxx

Mindi said...

Oh yum, I absolutely love moules frites, but I've also been craving a good burger, not sure which I'd chose right now. Sounds like your sampler group had a very enjoyable outing.

Catherine said...

Your day out looks like a lot of fun!
Those patriotic birds are really cute ~ especially with your finishing!

Lois said...

That food looks delicious and what a lovely house and gardens to tour. Sweet finish - love how it looks on the hanger.

Keeper of the Crowes said...

What a fabulous day! Wish I could have joined you!!!
Linda

Charlene ♥ SC said...

How darling is that stack piece? Love it! And your lunch is making me hungry, too!! Happy week of stitching to you.

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Myra,
What a lovely place to visit. I would love to go there. :)
Your Patriotic piece came out lovely! What a nice gift to get.
The photo of the flowers so pretty.
Happy Father's Day to your husband!
Hugs