background

Sunday, July 1, 2012

How bout this weather?! LOL

Hello dear friends!  Thank you for all the wonderful, encouraging comments on my Penny America finish and my little sewing cases.  You just make me want to keep creating.  :o)

I think the title of this post says it all.  If you live anywhere in the US right now you know what I mean.  I am ever so thankful for air conditioning.  I do believe I will be making this pasta salad today - something cool and refreshing needs to be on my menu this week and from the looks of it this will make a good addition to my lunch for the rest of the week.

I just had to stitch another little patriotic piece before the 4th and I found the perfect one when I went to Salisbury a couple of weeks ago.  This was a freebie Robin was offering in her shop:

"Flag City"
La D Da
32 ct Blackberry Dyed Linen/GAST floss

As you can see I took a little artistic license with the pattern.  :o)  "Flag City, USA" really didn't have any meaning for me so I substituted the city of my birthplace (it is also where my boys grew up and the birthplace of Duke University).  I decided to finish it as a hanging pocket.  I braided some twine with a dark blue ribbon for the hanger, trimmed it with Victorian Motto chenille, and filled it with some fabric stars.  :o)  The stars were made by fusing some fabric together, cutting the stars, and glueing them to bamboo skewers.

I am still in a patriotic mood and trying to resist starting yet another piece.  I don't have any idea how it happened but I currently have 4 WIP's and really shouldn't start something else right now.  It was only 2 years ago that I only worked on 1 piece at a time and I just don't know how I have ended up with 4 projects in the works.  Oh, and none of them are really close to completion either.  I don't know if I can resist...the Olympics are coming up and my American pride starts to boil over.....

I would like to wish all of my American friends a Happy 4th of July filled with fun, family, friends, and a stitch or two.  For my International friends I hope you have a fabulous week doing whatever your heart desires.  :o)  Thank you for your visits and lovely comments, I appreciate each and every one.

29 comments:

Jackie said...

I love your personalization on the Flag City hanging pocket. YOu did a beautiful job stitching and finishing it. The fabric stars are a really nice touch. I love the loooong flagpole!

Faye said...

LOVE this Myra!~~~ You hit the nail on the head girl~~~~ I love love love this stitch and your perfect finish!!

CATHI said...

What a beautiful finish! Do you still have some of the stitching cases? If so, please let me know!

Have a nice Sunday!

Cathi

Solstitches said...

I love your patriotic pocket and those stars are such a cute idea.
Happy 4th July!
Margaret

Mary said...

Myra, I love your special touches to the patriotic pocket!
The stars add an adorable finish....very clever :)

I also have a few patriotics from last year that are STILL waiting for a FINAL finish...I agree how easy it is to get carried away with the red, white and blue!

Thanks for the link to the pasta salad....definitely one that I have to try.

My guess is that it's hotter there than it is here BUT our heat index is over 100. I think today is just going to be a hazy lazy day in my neck of the woods!

((HUGS))

Becky said...

What a great finish! I love the design and your adaptations - lovely to update it to have even more meaning for you! As always, inspiring!

Becky

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Myra,
Another gorgeous piece by you! Love the special additions that you added to it, to make it your own! :)
Hugs and Happy Fourth!

butterfly said...

Lovely 4th july stitching, I wish I could live there in July. hugs.

Cindy's Stitching said...

very pretty

carol fun said...

Myra - this one is just tooo wonderful! I love your personal touches and those stars on the skewers are tooo clever. I will be stealing this idea for my 4th of July display. Have a wonderful holiday- and stay cool. I too am singing the praises of who ever perfected central AC.

Daffycat said...

Oh, Myra...this is adorable! I LOVE how you adapted the design to suit. It looks awesome!

Miss Pants said...

How great that you could personalize your patriotic piece! Greensboro is so long, it's hard to fit it in sometimes.

Vickie said...

Just perfect looking. :)

robindefender said...

Love that piece, and the way you altered the wording.

You aren't kidding about it being hot! My upstairs a/c can't quite keep up with the heat during the daytime. It's not bad, but it's not what I've set the temp at either!

Stay cool and have a great 4th.

Barb said...

I do like the way you finished Flag City! it looks great!

Deborah said...

Wonderful finish! I love the stars.

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

Absolument merveilleux !!!

bisous de FRANCE

Lois said...

We've been hearing on our news about the heatwave in the US and the terrible storms now happening in certain parts. What a lovely patriotic finish Myra! Hope that heat breaks soon.

Chris said...

oh Myra! I love that finish and the way that you personalized it.
That pasta salad looks lovely. How did it turn out?

Shirlee said...

That is beautiful Myra! I love how you adapted it to be more personal to you & your finish is amazing!

Carol said...

Your personalization makes a great design even better, Myra :) I'm busy stitching patriotic things myself--have very few so it's nice to work on them this month...

Oh, that pasta salad looks so yummy--will have to give it a try this summer. I hope you and your family enjoy a relaxing 4th of July on Wednesday :)

Karen said...

What a cute finish! I love the little details of the stars too.

happy stitching....go ahead start something new!!!!

Cathy B said...

Cute, cute, cute finish! Like that you personalized it and made it your own.

Have a great 4th!

Keeper of the Crowes said...

I just love this piece!!!
Linda

Dani - tkdchick said...

Lovely patriotic finish and how creatively you've finished it!

Charlene ♥ SC said...

It's a great time of year to be patriotic, and this is just the cutest! Love you creative finish. Remember the old song lyric, Love the one You're With? Well, stitch the one you love! Be well and Stay cool!

Catherine said...

Love this finish Myra!! You always know just the right touches to add to make things your own!

Kaisievic said...

Great finish and a good idea to use your home city in the design.

Patty C. said...

Great Finish !!!