background

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Paints, quilts, and treats

Last night we had our Christmas gathering at work.  We decided to do something a little different this year.  We gathered at a place called Wine and Design where we proceeded to paint a portrait of our pet.  Some of you may recall that I did a portrait of Lola this past September at another studio.  For this portrait I chose to paint my old girl Glitter.
I think she was more difficult to capture in paint than Lola.  We had a great time and felt we went home with a treasure.  We were also gifted a wonderful tote from Land's End.
 
Since today was a rainy, dreary one I decided to finish up this little Christmas quilt.

 
I have had these hourglass blocks cut out for a couple of months and just kept getting distracted when it came to sewing them up.  I really like the primitive look and it is already hanging on the wall by my small Christmas tree.
 
The mail this week brought a couple of treats.  :o)

 
Mindi sent a lovely Christmas card and inside it were these lovely gold pins.  They look so elegant and fitting for the season.  The fabric postcard is from Norma.  I always look forward to her Christmas cards.  The picture doesn't capture the mica flakes on his beard and cuff - they add so much pizazz.

I hope you are all finished with your shopping and such and can sit back and relax in these final days before Christmas.  I still have a lot to do but I refuse to get stressed about it.  If it gets done...fine.  If it doesn't...it will get done eventually.

Wishing you all a wonderful week.  Please say a prayer for those families in CT.  I have been thinking of them all weekend.

15 comments:

Mary said...

Oh Myra, you did go home with a treasure! What a great idea. Glitter looks wonderful, her eyes are beautiful. You are so artistic in many ways.

The quilt is lovely as are your treats.

This week is a busy one for me too.
Shopping is a little harder this year because "we don't really need or want anything, Mom"......oh, come on kids, work with me here!
The older they get, the more difficult gift ideas are, aren't they?

My heart goes out to Newtown. May God Bless their souls.
Each day is a gift that we seem to take for granted but need to cherish.

HUGS to you my friend

Chris said...

Hey Myra!
Glitter's portrait is wonderful.
It look like you had a great time.
Beautiful finish on the quilt and mailbox surprises.

cucki said...

hello dear very lovely portrait of Glitter..
quilt is looking so pretty and sweet gift..
have a lovely week x

Patty C. said...

Love your little Christmas Quilt !!

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

Merveilleux !!
bonnes fêtes !!!

bisous from FRANCE

barbara said...

What a talent you've been hiding!! I love your portrait of Glitter!

Mary said...

Great kitty portrait! And I just love the little Christmas quilt! Very talented indeed.

Miss Pants said...

What a dreary day it was indeed. The Christmas quilt looks great!

Vickie said...

Myra! Wow first Lola, now Glitter. You have TALENT!! Fabulous. I am so jealous.
I am praying too.♥

Ellen said...

Great portrait! I love that beautiful quilt too! You are multi-talented!

Hugs,

Barb said...

You are a very talented lady. The cat portrait is beautiful! Great little quilt stitching!

Siobhán said...

What a neat idea to do for a party--especially since you go home with a treasure. Love the painting! Your quilt is lovely, too.

Carol said...

Myra, I'm amazed at your portrait of Glitter! Honestly, the eyes are so professional looking and I always think they must be the hardest things to paint. I'm truly impressed as I can't even draw the most basic of stick figures :)

Your office party certainly is unique and I'm sure all the animal-loving people you work with really enjoyed it...

And your quilt is lovely--the perfect colors for this time of year...

I need to adopt your "no-stress" attitude next year (I'm afraid it's too late for this year :)

msmartello said...

Great job on your painting and love the quilt. I have been praying for those families constantly. I can't stop thingking about those families and their poor little babies. When you send your children to school you don't think that they are not going to come home. My heart breaks for them.
Merry Christmas!
Maureen

Catherine said...

What a fun gathering! Your picture is great ~ I have no talent when it comes to drawing and painting.
Love your quilt too ~ and great goodies you received!