background

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Queen Bee

Hello from rainy, dreary NC.  We have had quite a few days of clouds and drizzly rain.  I am ready for some sunshine.

Thank you all for your kind comments on my Liberty Inn finish.  I thought you might like to see the beginnings of my patriotic wall.

I know it's rather pitiful right now but I do have a couple of projects lined up (if I can avoid stitching distractions) and hope to have at least 2 more pieces to add to it this year.  That white lump you see in the bottom is our thermostat.  No way to hide that thing and you can't cover it up so there it is.

I could hardly wait to get started on the LHN design Lynda sent me in the spring exchange.  So...stitch it I did and finished it into an ornament as well.  I am not thrilled with the finishing - the wool I used seems too "washed out" for the design but it will make a nice addition to my tree this year. 
"Tweet"
Little House Needleworks
36 ct cocoa linen/floss as charted
 
Which brings me to the title of this post.  Last week Chris sent me a sweet note and in it she included a Prairie Schooler freebie that I just love.  The colors and design just spoke to me and I had it kitted up and began stitching right away.  I didn't see a name on it anywhere only a number but I am calling it "Queen Bee".  :o)

 
I stitched it on 32 ct black linen over 2 first.  I liked it so much I decided to stitch it again over 1.  And then just like potato chips I couldn't stop with just one so I ended up stitching it 3 times. (for now LOL) The shiny thing you see in the picture is a nickel - for perspective.  :o) I plan to finish the large one into an ornament and I have a different finish in mind for the tiny ones.
 
I haven't had a giveaway in a while so let's have a little contest.  Comment on this post with your guess as to what these small "Queen Bees" will become.  If more than one person guesses correctly, I will put the names of those who guessed correctly into a hat and choose a winner.  The winner will receive one of the little "Queen Bees" of there very own.  The contest will remain open for about a week.
 
Let the games begin!

37 comments:

Julianne said...

Hi Myra,

Great start on the patriotic wall.

My guess is that you are going to make a needle minder with the queen Bee finish. That was my Dad's nickname for my mom or Bee for short.

I hope you are enjoying the springtime there.ited

Barb said...

I love the beginning of your patriotic wall. Maybe a button ???

~*Sharee*~ said...

I love your patriotic wall hun; I use to have one, maybe I'll have to do that again..How about a scissor fob? That'd be cute...love the bee..

Hugs, Shar

Ellen said...

Love your Queen Bees! They look right for needle minders and buttons/badges!

Love your ornament too, will be a great addition to your tree!

Hugs,

Faye said...

How about 2covered buttons dangling from the dowels on a quilted wall hanging.... Hmmm.... You're so smart, no telling what they'll be used for!!!!! I know one would be cute on the front of a project pouch!!!!!

Jodi S said...

That is a nice design. Really catches the eye. What are you making them into? Maybe pendants?

Pamela said...

I love the Queen Bees (big and small)!!!
I think maybe a needle minder may be a great finishing project. thanks for sharing!

Pam

Mary said...

Hi Myra,
Your patriotic wall is looking great! Each piece complements the other. I can't wait to see the finishing touches of your next 2 pieces.

Oh, the queen bee(s) are adorable. Knowing you, they will be finished creatively.
Since bees are a popular piece of jewelry now, maybe a pendant would suit these beauties?

I hope your weather improves soon.
HUGS

Karen said...

Looking good Myra! You are killing me with those little frames. I have about 6 of them in my stash and now I want to find something to stitch and frame in them. I must stay on my current project.... ahhhh.....what to do!!!!

happy stitching...

pj said...

I love that little P.S. bee card! Those turned out so cute!!!! I am thinking they would make cute scissor fobs but I bet you have something creative in mind.

Happy Spring! pjstitcher

April said...

I love your stitching that is your Patriotic wall! Great finishes as always Myra!! Love Queen Bee.

cucki said...

very sweet stitching..
big hugs x

Chris said...

Great update Myra! I love your new ornament. The finishing is beautiful.
Love those Bees!

Vera said...

Hi Myra! Your patriotic wall looks great! And the Queen's Bee I love. I am guessing a scissor fob or needle minder. I'm sure whatever you make will be wonderful! Have fun.

Brigitte said...

A great start of your patriotic wall. I'm looking forward to seeing next pieces you'll add.

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Your patriotic wall is really coming along nicely! Need to go look for some of those house frames. You say you're making an ornament, but it would make a cute needle book and scissor fob set? Look forward to seeing what you do!

Catherine said...

Love the start of your wall ~ fabulous!! That bee is so pretty ~ will have to try and get one of those cards. Hhhmmmm....everyone has had wonderful suggestions so far...I love the idea of a fob ~ but can see it as a pretty broach as well. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Carol said...

Oh, your patriotic wall is off to a splendid start, Myra!! Had to laugh at the comment on the thermostat--we just got a new one installed in our dining room that seems to stick out like a sore thumb on our red walls :)

Love the colors in the bee--I'm guessing it will be a fob? Your little ornament finish is adorable--I think the color is great :)

Hope things are sunnier down in NC for you today--for a change we are enjoying some perfect spring weather!

Teresa S. said...

Love the idea of a patriotic wall. Might have to "borrow" that idea :)
The bees would make a beautiful scissor fob or magnet.

Pam in IL said...

Queen Bee is so cute. I thought the shiny thing next to them was a quarter and couldn't believe when I read it was a nickel. I think they would make great scissor fobs.

Love the patriotic wall too.

butterfly said...

Your stitching all looks just wonderful.

I love your Queen bee, let me think button cover ?.

We are having sunshine at last would you like me to send you some , I will blow some over to you, hugs.

Vickie said...

Love the queens! The colors are great aren't they?! I saw them and thought ooOoo! A brooch! =)

Andrea said...

A great start to your wall. Love the "Queen Bee" pieces. I've never seen that PS freebie before.

momoshari said...

little pinkeeps? these are charming and lovely!

Crispy said...

Love all of your stitcheries. Personally I love the pale wool. It gives it an antiquey look :0)

Crispy

Shirlee said...

I really like your patriotic stitchings as well as the LHN ornament : ) I have no idea what those small bees will become but I'll look forward to finding out : )

Annette-California said...

Your patriotic wall has 3 beautiful framed samplers - love it. I am thinking that your small bees will be made into a thread fob and a pendant. The black linen you stitched the Bees on looks fantastic. Love the Bee design.
love Annette

Sally said...

I love your start on your patriotic wall.

Sweet LHN ornament.

Kay said...

The Queen Bee is delightful, and a new design to me. I am not sure what you are planning on making with them but a scissor fob or a brooch would be sweet.
ks(dot)eyles(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk

MelissaD said...

I love all stitched bees - especially since my name Melissa means "honeybee"
I think the tiny ones would make wonderful scissor fobs.
thanks for sharing!

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

hmmm. .. i'm going to go with scissor fob - these bees are so cute i can see why you stitched it more than once - hugs, Amanda

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

oh j'adore c'est vraiment trop joli ! bravo pour les broderies !
bisous bisous

MartyG said...

I think you are going to make a lovely broach. I have this kitted up to stitch too. Did you use the called for colors?

MartyG. Stevemarty@msn.com

Patty C. said...

That patriotic wall is coming along nicely !!!

Karoline said...

Your patriotic wall is coming along nicely.
Your Tweet & Queen Bees are lovely

Anne said...

Love your patriotic wall Myra! I think tweet looks great with that wool! Very prim!!

Patty C. said...

Your bee is just perfect!