background

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Grungy



Snowmen!  I was tiring a bit of stitching on patriotic things so decided to change it up a bit.  These are grungy icicle snowmen ornaments.  Doncha just love that wee one with his ear muffs?!  These were embroidered, sewn up, stuffed, given headwear and trimmings, than spritzed with coffee and baked to grungy perfection.  :o)

I didn't have quite enough rusty jingle bells and pins so I decided to try my hand at rusting my own.  I just did a google search for rusting recipe, chose one of the non toxic recipes (without bleach) that I found and started "cooking".  Here is what the solution looked like when the magic was happening:
 It rises and bubbles like crazy!  And here are the (rusty) fruits of my labor:
 
Please excuse the quality of the pictures.  It has been raining here for 11 days!  The sun did manage to peek through for a couple of hours today but I can hear a downpour outside as I type.  I sure hope it doesn't rain all day again tomorrow. 
 
Okay, I am off to see what I can cook up next!
 

25 comments:

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

beautiful pictures !

Daffycat said...

Darling snowfellows! They are all so sweet!

What recipe did you use for the rusting? I tried that last year and mine did not get very rusty...

Peggy Lee said...

Adorable snowman icicles.
I have tried rusting things several times with several different methods and have never once had them turn out right. Can you tell me what you did? I'd love to be able to do my own rather than buy them.
~hugs

Annie said...

Those are so cute and so unusual! Great job...do they cool you off on a hot summer holiday?

Cole said...

They are so cute!!!

Vickie said...

Ha! Sooooooo sweet. Have more fun Myra! Happy Fourth!

Maggee said...

Who would have thought of Grungy Icicles?? You HAVE to share the recipe--nearly everyone wants to know it, including me! These guys are awfully cute! Hugs!

Catherine said...

Love those grungy snowmen! And your rusty fruits look great!!

Miss Pants said...

Those are so cute!

In my job...I'm always pulling out rusty paperclips, staples, pins...never knew they were so sought after.

Cath said...

Love the snow guys , are they from a chart or did you make them up ?

cucki said...

Aww cute x

Shirlee said...

Please do share the link to the recipe for rusting the pins & bells. I've not tried that but need to : ) Your icicle snowmen look great! My favorites are the one with the earmuffs, then the one with the bow tie : ) I've tired of patriotic stitches for now as well & am back to ornaments.

Pam in IL said...

Those snowmen icicles are adorable! Love them!

Lois said...

Such cute snowmen Myra!

Charlene ♥ SC said...

How cute are those snowmen? Nicely done!

Which recipe did you use? The one I tried rusted, but then fell off.

Barb said...

Those little guys are just adorable plus they will work for the 4th and also for winter!!

Annette-California said...

Those snowmen icicles are soo super cute! Great job! love Annette

Brigitte said...

Oh my, your icicle snowmen are just so cute. What a wonderful idea!!!

Marsha said...

Those snowmen are really cute and the safety pins came out nice and grungy. Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you get some sun. We haven't had any either. Good stitching weather though.

Carol said...

I'll bet you're about ready to build an ark with all that rain, Myra! We've had a lot, too, but only in spurts--not the whole day. At least you have fun indoor hobbies that you can still do when you can't be outside.

Your snowmen are the cutest!! You are so creative--love how the expressions on their faces give each a different look :)

Penny said...

These little guys are so cute! :) Your bells and pins came out great.

Chris said...

Wow! Love your grungy guys and the pins and bells.

Sally said...

Wow they look brilliant!

Karoline said...

Cute snowmen, congratulations

Simply Victoria said...

Hi Myra! I am a new follower and have to say the icicles are perfect. I am going to have to look into "rusting." Perfect little touches do a lot to a piece.