background

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Stitching, Cooking, and Sewing

Hello Friends!  I hope you are enjoying a lovely August weekend in your neck of the woods.  Ours here in NC has been absolutely glorious.  Not too warm, low humidity, and a nice breeze blowing.  Sure wish it would last more than a couple of days.

Earlier this week I received an early birthday present from dear Chris.


 
It's the latest in the Season's of Chessie series from Old Mill Stitchery!  It is a fabulous kit that includes everything I need to finish the hornbook.  Do you see the cute acorn cut out on the handle?  This is going to be another fun stitch but I have decided to wait until closer to my actual birthday to start it.  Thank you so much Chris - you are the best!
 
One of the reasons I am waiting to start the Chessie kit is because the minute I saw this one my fingers couldn't click over to Etsy fast enough.

 
What a great design.  I would probably be nearly finished with it if I could decide on the floss color for the pumpkin.  The linen I chose is a little lighter, therefore the Ecru gets lost.  I have tried 2 other colors thus far and ended up frogging both of those.  I have my DMC out and since they say the 3rd times the charm, I am hoping the next floss I choose will be the perfect one.
 
Now for the cooking.  Have you seen these packets?
 
 
I stopped by the farm stand and selected these gorgeous Roma tomatoes and this seemed the perfect dish for them.  I wasn't wrong....it was delicious.

 
It doesn't make for a very pretty dish as the balsamic vinegar turns everything a brown color but the flavors were fabulous.

I have been sewing a bit over the past two weeks.  I received my Label Crew package from Sweetwater and couldn't wait to get started.  This month's project was a Halloween Treat basket.
I started out with this simple more rustic looking version.

 
Then I found this word fabric in my stash.

 
And finally, I made a very festive one following the pattern and adding the pointy bits around the top as well as the tag.

 
Now, my problem is that I can't decide which one I like best.   So, I am going to let you help me decide.  Leave me a comment telling me which one is your favorite - rustic, wordy, or festive - and why you like that particular one.  I will draw a name on Monday, September 2nd (That's Labor Day here in the US) and that person will receive their choice in the mail with plenty of time to add it to your Halloween decor.
Remember, you can only choose one and don't forget to tell me why it is your favorite.  :o)
 
I had a different photography assistant today. 

 
And this is the reason she isn't allowed to assist me very often.
(Yes, she still has that ratty rubber football.  I don't have the heart to throw it away, it is her favorite.)

 
Arrrghhh!   She barks at me nonstop because I am busy taking pictures and won't play ball with her.
 
Well, if you have made it this far please know I appreciate each and every one of you.  You are all so encouraging and inspiring.  Here's hoping we all have a wonderful week ahead!

33 comments:

Debbie said...

Your assistant is so cute! So did you two play ball?? Your sewing is beautiful...the rustic is my favorite. Enjoy the last week of August. And happy stitching too!

Julianne said...

Wow! Myra your creative juices are flowing! Your baskets are so cute and are just perfect for handing out candy to the kiddos. I like the third one best. When I saw the black cat on the fabric lining it just said Halloween to me.

Chris said...

Wow, Myra! The baskets are fabulous. I love them all...the colors in the rustic, the fabric in the wordy one and the black cats in the lining of the 3rd one.
I will have to try the seasoning packets. It looks yummy.
So glad you like the new kit.
I have to order beggars night, I love it!
Have a great week!

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday! What a delightful package of goodies from Chris.

All three baskets are wonderful! My eyes keep going to the wordy one - I think it's the purple lining.

I'll have to look for those spice packets - your meal looks good! It looks quick too and I need more quick meals for after work.

Anonymous said...

Oh Myra, I love the wordy one. Love the purple fabric inside. Nice birthday pkg from Chris! Yes, it has been a beautiful day here in NC!

Debra in NC

Ellen said...

Happy Birthday! Wonderful kit from Chris!

Love your sewing! The rustic bag is my favorite, love all things rustic and primitive. Brown is one of my favorite colors too!

Hugs,

Miss Pants said...

Happy Birthday!

Those treat bags are sooo cute!

Barb said...

Love your assistant! I like the wordy one best. It just speaks more Halloween to me. Good luck with the white pumpkin. What a pretty design. Such a pretty gift from Chris!!

Catherine said...

Fabulous gifts from Chris! I love that Threadworks chart ~ it's in my list ~ I know you will make a fabulous finish of it!
Your baskets are all great for the season and I love them all, but if I have to chose one, I'd chose the wordy one ~ love the words and the pop of the lining! Your assistant is too cute ~ hope there was time for ball playing after the photo shoot! Oh, and that dinner looks yummy ~ I'll have to look for those packets!

Pam in IL said...

I have a similar assistant, lol. She's a cutie!

I like the festive treat basket because I like the colors and the different fabrics.

Deborah said...

Love the new Chessie and Me kit. I did it right away and Nataly has it for the finishing. The other funny thing is i am currently working on begger's night. I had to use 3865 because the fabric I am using was too light for the ecru's. I love the bright's. Thanks for the chance.

~*Sharee*~ said...

Adorable assistant..:) I love your little baskets..my favorite is the rustic one; I love the bats and the primitive look. I have some fabric pumpkins & bunnies with each of my grandbabies names on them that would look GREAT in this cute basket..:) I just ordered Begger's Night and can't wait to get it!!

Hugs, Shar

Shirlee said...

What a sweet gift from Chris : ) I hope you found just the right DMC for your Beggar's Night. I must say that the chicken dish you made looks delicious, brown or not! I've not seen those seasonings here. I'll have to check next time we go to the grocery store. Your baskets are cute & how generous of you to offer one as a giveaway. Please don't put me in for the drawing though as I'm not a Halloween person.

Annette-California said...

Happy Birthday! Incredible package from Chris - Love the chart and kit she sent you. No I have not seen those packets, but I sure will look for them. Thank you for sharing.
Your Halloween Treat Baskets are Fantastic. How beautiful - and great fabrics you coordinated for each. I am loving the first one - rustic, reminds me of Fall as well as Halloween. Cute assistant:)
love Annette

butterfly said...

What a lovely gift from Chris " Happy Birthday"Myra.
Beautiful baskets, you have so many talents.
My favorite one would have to be the rustic one why?
because I love the soft brown colour and just love pumpkins.

Karen said...

Love them all! But my favorite is the words just speaks halloween to me. And the purple inside! Now I need to find that pattern as they are too cute not to try to make.

Daffycat said...

Ooooo, great stash! That makes for a nice birthday! Hope you have a very happy birthday!

Of dear, that wordy basket is adorable. I love the purple pumpkin lining and the black and orange handle.

I'm afraid my Molly ignores me when we are outside...too busy watching for cars to herd. Maybe a little quieter than your photography assistant!

John'aLee said...

What an inspiring post! Us women seem to be happiest, cooking, sewing or a stitchin'!

Sarah in Stitches said...

That's a beautiful present you've received, congrats! And your baskets are gorgeous. My personal favorite is the festive one - Halloween is just such a happy time for me. It wasn't about the trick-or-treating when I was a kid, it was about dressing up and going to Halloween parties or fairs. I was always a witch, although one year my sister and I wore matching cheerleader outfits with homemade pom-poms. It was all really just an excuse to dress up and be with our friends and have a ball! :D I still love Halloween, although no one here (I live in Dubai now) ever celebrates it. *sigh*

cucki said...

Aww great stash...sweet *.*
Hope you have a lovely birthday.
I love them all but my fav one is the last one because it has my maloo kitty picture on it..I love cats and this basket is looking sweet with it.
Big hugs x

Pamela said...

the baskets are beautiful! I love them all, but the Word one with the purple is my favorite! The interior purple just makes it pop!
Thanks for sharing.
I just received my Chessie & Me and I also adore the acorn cut out. Happy Stitching!
Pam

Denise said...

All the baskets are beautiful but my favorite is the third one, I love the points around the rim. Awesome giveaway! Adorable dog!

Vera said...

Hi Myra, what a great surprise from Chris!! Love your treat baskets -- they are so pretty. I think the third is my favorite (love the pointy pieces around the top).

moosecraft said...

OK. I was reading your blog this morning and I see you have the Beggar's Night to stitch too. I was stitching on same pattern this afternoon and have a suggestion... since the pumpkin is ecru with 612 highlights... why not try a 612 pumpkin with ecru highlights since you are using a lighter background? Great treat bags!

msmartello said...

Hi Myra,
Great baskets! Wordy is my favorite. I like the variety of halloween things on it and the inside is my one of my favorite colors. I hope you got to play ball with your assistant LOL!

Maureen

Simple Pleasure said...

Myra
You certainly have been a busy gal! I love the early birthday gift sent by Chris...that acorn cutout is adorable. Beggar's Night is perfect for the upcoming season. I sense a NEED for some stash enhancement...LOL.
Asking me to pick a favorite basket is like asking me to choose a favorite grandchild...if I MUST, it would have to be the basket with the wordplay fabric...reminds me of Brenda's Word Play Series, which I've enjoyed stitching and the tone on tone purple fabric just makes the finish pop!
Enjoy some quality stitching this week.
Busy Hands...Happy Heart
Patrica

Friendship Crossing said...

Your baskets are darling Myra! I love them all, but I think I like the last one best b/c ~ it is so colorful!

Thanks for letting me enter!

Hugs,
Tanya

thegreytail said...

you're assistant is so sweet! I bet she wears you out playing fetch, doesn't she? ;)
never throw her away that mess of a ball, you can tell how much she loves it.

I got a hoard of Chessie and Me recently, irresistible. did you see the new ones released for St. Charles Market? ;)
Harvest Time seems to be missing though, I just have to add it to the list. how lucky to receive it all kitted up! Chris is a great friend! that acorn hole, aaawww!
Beggar's Night, another beautiful one. I'm sure you'll find the perfect shade for the pumpkin.
those spaghetti got my mouth watering, and I just had lunch! argh! :D

all the baskets look great, your finishings are spooktacular Myra!
it has been a battle, but in the end I'd say the rustic wins over the festive. all those black cats on the sides. and after all the creative work you put into the festive basket, I could never take that away from you!
hugs and lots of happy xxx,
chiara

Michele said...

Love your new baskets! My favorite is Wordy :)

Matilda turned out so cute!!! and I love the pillows you made from Casting a Spell .. wonderful!

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

Oh Myra thank you for the beautiful pictures ! bisous de FRANCE

Maggee said...

Your baskets are very nice! I like the festive one, but I don't do halloween so no need to enter me in the drawing! You are going to be having some fun stitching, aren't you? A couple of new things to start... Enjoy! Hugs!

Pumpkin said...

Myra, your baskets are fabulous! Again, you are creating some amazing things :)

My favorite is the rustic one. Why? Well...look at all the pumpkins ;) Love the colors too. Would fit in perfectly with my decor.

Simply Victoria said...

Nice birthday gift and great job on those baskets you made!