background

Sunday, September 29, 2013

A New Quilt Shop

I attended the grand opening of a new quilt shop yesterday, The Quilting Coop.  It resides in a renovated barn beside the owner's house. 


Such a lovely country setting, there were cows in the pasture behind the shop.  :o)  I thought her fall displays outside were very cute and there was a sitting area underneath a big shade tree.  I felt myself wishing I had some handwork in the car so I could just sit outside and stitch for a while.

Marsha the owner was very warm and welcoming and had some delicious treats waiting for you when you walked inside.  I particularly liked these gummy chicken feet.  :o)

 
It is a small shop, not on the scale of what you would see in a larger city but I think it will suit my needs just fine.  There were lots of $1 and $2 bins, fat quarters for $2.75 and some of the fabrics were only $4.75 per yard.


 
Well worth a visit if you are in the area.  I am very excited to see another local business open that I can support (not another one of those internet gambling joints that are so popular here...ugh!) and wish her much success.

 
I managed to reduce her inventory just a little.  A few fat quarters, some half yards and a pillowcase kit. 

 
Jen over at Miss Punkie Pie makes lots of pillowcases and I have always admired them on her blog.  I don't know why but for some reason the thought of making one has always intimidated me. 
 Good grief!  It took me less than an hour to make this one and was so easy. 

 
I see more "custom made" pillowcases in my future.  :o)
 
Have a wonderful Sunday my friends.  I am off to stitch the first part of Paulette's Mystery Sampler. 

16 comments:

Jackie said...

Cute shop! I love the building itself. Very nice to have a family owned business open up instead of a big box store.

Vickie said...

What a great shop for you Myra! And great prices. Fabulous.
My kids rolled their eyes when I started making us pillowcases. But they all use them, AND like them! ;)

Charlene ♥ SC said...

How neat to have a shop close by that is in interest of the community and you! Love your pillow case. A very nice addition to your quilt and/or sham sets!

Sarah in Stitches said...

Great shop! Love it. And I love the pillow case you've made. Beautiful colors!

Emma/Itzy said...

It looks like a great shop! Wish I had something like that so near by - enjoy! :)

Catherine said...

What a cute shop!! And I love that pillowcase ~ great fabric choices!

Barb said...

Looks like a nice little shop. I have seen pillow cases, maybe it is time for me to give one a try!

cucki said...

Aww very sweet shop..
Love your stash and pillow case is so pretty too❤️
Hugs x

Shirlee said...

Thanks for sharing your trip to the new quilt shop! It looks like a wonderful place : )

Chris said...

Love the pillow case. So nice to have a local store.

Mary said...

What a cute shop, and it's nearby to you, Myra. Lots of retail therapy there!
Your pillowcase is adorable.
Enjoy the mystery sampler.

((HUGS))

Simply Victoria said...

How great to have a local store for you to frequent and find some pretty fabbies. Cute pillowcase.

Maggee said...

So far, you did good in resisting. We had a shop open across the boulevard from here, and I visited once and did not buy... However...I also haven't needed anything really. But you never know... Looks like a great, relaxing place... in the country... with farm animals... cool. Hugs!

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Oh Myra, what a lovely little quilt shop. Love all the decorations she has outside. I also smiled with the baggie of Chicken Feet. The saying is Perfect! :)
I am sure you had fun looking through all the fabrics.
Love the pillowcase that you made.
Hugs

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

WOOT!!! Easy Peasy! I actually have fabric washed and partially prepped for 6 more pillowcases. Awesome new find for you. I wish we had more local shops like that around here.

Andrea said...

Looks a well stocked shop for saying that it is small. Some lovely fabrics.