background

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Linen Love

I'll start this post by saying I am not a linen or floss snob.  More often than not I'll stitch with DMC and use whatever linen I have that is large enough no matter the count or the manufacturer.   I tend to prefer stiffer linen and if it is a bit rough I don't care.

When I was selecting the ornaments I wanted to stitch from this year's JCS ornament issue Plum Street Samplers Stocking really caught my eye.  I decided to order the Lakeside 36 count vintage cedar plank linen so mine would look just like the model.  Well, I had a tough time finding the 36 count but was able to get the 40 count in the same color.  In the past, the Lakeside linen has been floppy and soft to me so I starched it before I started stitching.

I am in love with this linen.  It is the perfect vintagy, blue-grey with tan undertones.  I only bought a 9 x 13 cut and am wishing I had more.

 
Isn't it swell?!  The picture just doesn't do it justice.
 
And here is my finish.  :o)

"A Christmas Stocking"
Plum Street Samplers from the 2013 JCS Ornament Issue

For those of you who read this blog and might be planning to stitch this design, there is a tiny little error in the chart. 

 
You are looking at the lower right "leg" of the star...this extra stitch shouldn't be there if you want all 4 "legs" of your star to be the same .
 
I hope you are enjoying a relaxing Sunday.  Thank you for stopping by.  I am off to stitch on the 2nd part of Mary's Sampler and watch my Panthers.  :o)
 
Hugs,
 

 






33 comments:

Beth said...

What pretty fabric! And 40 count - wow!

Barb said...

Your stocking is gorgeous! 40 count is so little!! I'm afraid I'll be blind stitching on that.

And thanks for the info about the tiny little error. I'll make a note of it on my copy.

Barb said...

Hi Almira, I love the stocking and the color of the linen. I'm like you, I usually stitch with what I have! that was worth the special fabric!

Jan Gartlan said...

Love the stocking!!!

Robin said...

Congratulations on your stocking finish! It turned out great! Like your fabric as well!

Robin in Virginia

Jackie said...

I can sew why you fell in love with the linen - the color is beautiful. Lakeside Linen is definitely at the top of my list of favorites.

Simply Victoria said...

The linen color is perfect for the stocking!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Perfection, Almira :)

Keeper of the Crowes said...

Love the fabric and I especially like your finish!!!

Annette-California said...

Love the ceder plank linen you used. Your stocking looks Beautiful!Great finish. love Annette

Mouse said...

ohhh that is one that caught my eye too to do at some point .. will mark my chart that there is a wee extra stitch ... gorgeous colour and lovely finishing ... and Almira ??? halloween season by any chance ...lol love mouse xxxxx

Lois said...

Love your finish! Increasingly I try to work from my stash and, like you, find it often works well. Do love this fabric though and some of it may have to make it into my stash!!!!!

cucki said...

such sweet fabric and i love your finish too..
hugs x

Christina said...

Beautiful linen, but 40ct? Wowsers! Love your new name btw, will you keep it once the Halloween season is over I wonder?! ;0)

thegreytail said...

oh I love that stocking!
great job, the colours are just perfect. I made up my mind on the colours for the manger, so off to work on Mary too :)
happy xxx,
chiara

Christine said...

Oh it is so so lovely!
I can't imagine stitching on 40ct though!

Sarah in Stitches said...

It's so pretty! I'm the opposite, though - I like stitching on soft fabrics, not stiff ones. Beautiful job! :D

Vickie said...

hahaha! Oh ALMIRA. ;)
Sweet, sweet finish.

Mary said...

The color of the linen is beautiful.
Good idea to starch it because I find some linen to be too soft to place uniform stitches on.
I love your stocking finish AND your name, Almira!
I guess one positive came from from the dreaded "birthday mail."

butterfly said...

Beautiful stitching , I wish we could get that beautiful linen here , I am always looking at the shows to see what I can buy, hugs.

Loraine said...

What a great job! I love the linen color, and the finishing. Well done.

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Beautifully done! That color is very nice. Thanks for the tip - JCS has a tendency to make those little slips!

Kaisievic said...

The fabbie is lovely and you are so clever to stitch on 40 count!

Catherine said...

Simply beautiful!! Love it!!

Pam in IL said...

What a lovely finish! Love the fabric too.

Deborah said...

Great finish! I love all LSL linens.

Shirlee said...

I love stockings & that chart was one of the first I copied from the magazine : ) Great job!

Carol said...

Ha Ha!! Are you staying Almira forever or just until Halloween is over? Too funny!!

The stocking is wonderful, Myra--just love it. I still can't get up my nerve to do a stocking finish. I don't know why I'm such a baby about it! I think it's the curved edges along the foot part... Any hints?

msmartello said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Andrea said...

A beautiful finish.

valerie said...

Lovely finish Myra! I think it looks great. I'm a big fan of Lakeside linens and am not much for stitchy linen but will use it in a pinch. lol

Grit said...

Looks so fantastic. I love this pattern.

Maggee said...

That is a lovely finish! The fabric looks great--I love LL fabric! I may have to investigate that color also! I have not actually got a copy of the ornament issue but hopefully soon! Hugs!