background

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Road Trip!

Chris and I met today for a little road trip, lunch, and to catch up.  It has been a couple of months since we have been able to get together so we were way past due for some girlfriend time.  :o)  Chris emailed me yesterday to say she had found something for us to do but she wasn't going to tell me what it was.  So we headed off together this morning to.....destination unknown.

We drove for about an hour, laughed, talked, solved half of the world's problems and finally arrived here:
http://colfaxpersimmonfest.com/
 
Well, we didn't exactly arrive at the festival.  Parking was 2 miles away and you had to catch a shuttle to the festival.  Our ride was on a covered wagon pulled by a Dodge truck.  LOL  This young man was our ride supervisor:

 
I told Chris I felt very safe.  Her response was "he's packin' too!"  LOL  I did overhear him telling some of the other passengers he was a retired US Marshall.

 
There was a great bluegrass band.  I jumped out on the lawn and danced a jig....just kidding...but I wanted to.  :o)

 
Old cars.

 
I offered to buy Chris a ride on this little guy but she decided to pass.
(That would have made for a great picture, wouldn't it?)
 
I had to settle for this picture of her being a tree hugger.
 
 
This is a huge Poplar tree billed on their website as one of the largest in Guilford County, N.C.
 
 
And what is a Persimmon Festival without a Persimmon Queen?
 
 
Isn't she precious?
 
The festival is held on the historic Stafford Farm.  You can read more of the history of the farm on the festival's website.
 
We left with some persimmon jelly and some persimmon pudding and memories of another fun gorgeous fall day.
 
We had a late lunch at a wonderful Greek Grill and I failed to take any pictures there.  I was too busy eating and solving the other half of the world's problems.  :o)  I did manage to give Chris her birthday gift (her birthday is the 6th, be sure to wish her a happy birthday) but again, I just realized I failed to take any pictures.  I am sure she will be posting pics later and you can have a look.
 
Thanks Chris for another great road trip!
 
If you have the opportunity to visit a local festival with a friend in your area, no matter the subject, take the time to go.  I don't think you will be disappointed.
 

16 comments:

Pam in IL said...

Looks like the road trip was great fun!

Catherine said...

You two always have such great fun!! Looks like a beautiful fall weather day too!

Mary said...

Looks like you and Chris had a great time together, Myra.
What fun to share with a dear friend

Barb said...

AS I said on Chris's blog, looks like a great day!!

Annette-California said...

Lovely road trip you and Chris had! How fun! love Annette

Shirlee said...

Such fun! I especially enjoyed seeing the Persimmon Queen : )

Chris said...

Thanks for a wonderful day Myra! Such fun. I love all of the sweet things that you gave me for my birthday. So glad to have you in my life!! Rich really enjoyed the persimmon pudding. I knew that he would. He loves those old time flavors. How were the biscuits?

Carol said...

I had never seen a persimmon until I read Chris's post! Looks like a fun afternoon, Myra, and how cute is the Persimmon Queen :)

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Looks like a fun day, Myra. The Persimmon Queen reminds me of Mom!

cucki said...

Aww so much fun...
Big hugs x

Vickie said...

What a great day! My favorite picture is the last one. ;)

butterfly said...

Looks like you had a great day out with Chris.
Lots of fun and goodies , hugs.

Simply Victoria said...

What a fun friend day!

Mouse said...

ooo would love to have joined you on your road trip ... glad you had a fab time and loved the tree hug :) love mouse xxxxx

Karoline said...

Sounds like you had a great time

Maggee said...

What a great outing! I love local stuff like that... Glad you had fun! Hugs!