background

Monday, February 24, 2014

Sewing

Several years ago when I was doing a lot of quilting I participated in a modified Dear Jane block swap.  Wow!  I just looked at the copyright on the DJ book and I guess I should change that to Many years ago as the book was published in 1996 and this swap was about 2 years after the book hit the market.

As a result of the swap I received 200+ blocks.  Each block was to be 4-1/2" square using civil war reproduction fabrics with natural muslin as the background fabric.  Here you can see some of my blocks sorted in baggies by color.

 I decided I didn't want to make a large quilt with these.  I have made several pincushions using a few of the blocks and given them as gifts.  I have struggled with what to do with these little blocks and since I needed to do some mindless sewing I added some sashing and borders and came up with these little quilts.


These measure around 14"x20" and are the perfect size for table toppers, doll quilts, a cupboard tuck, or to hang on the wall.  Here they are after adding the binding.



Since taking those pictures I decided to toss them in the wash so they could get that older crinkly look.  It seems that someone didn't prewash their fabrics because look what happened.
 Ugh!  This same fabric was in 2 of the quilts and as you can see that red bled terribly.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might correct this?  I used sythrapol in a cold water wash and this still happened.  I suppose if I can't fix it I can still gift it to some little girl whose dollie won't mind if the red bled or not.  :o

Ziggy says he would be happy to give them a home in his cathouse!

20 comments:

Friendship Crossing said...

Oh Myra, those little quilts are just adorable!! maybe try soaking in a little vinegar, then rinse really well. You might want to google it first, but vinegar is supposed to do a lot of things! LOL

Tanya

Miss Pants said...

Looks like you have been busy!

That's a bummer about the fabric bleeding. Booo

Annette-California said...

Your mini quilts are beautiful! I am in awe - you had agreat idea of what to do with all the blocks you swapped for. Would "Tide to go Joe" pen work? I would test what to do decide to try on another piece of fabric first. Great job on the quilts.
love Annette

Pam in IL said...

I love the little quilts. Maybe try one of those color absorbing things in the washer again or something like a shout stain removing pen. I'd be happy with a little quilt, even with the running color.

Barb said...

Your designs are wonderful. How frustrating about the bleeding. You might try lemon juice in water. I did that one summer but you might need to wait until it is warm and I did it in the sun. Good luck! If it does not work, that is a lucky little girl who will get the quilt for her doll.

Chris said...

I am so sorry about the fabric bleeding :( They all look great though. How nice to be getting these out of the basket :) The 4th of July one is great :)

Vickie said...

Oh Myra! How disheartening after so much work! They are all lovely. My favorite is the same one as Chris. ;) I hope you find a solution dear friend.

Shirlee said...

I was in more quilt block swaps that I can count back in the 90s & the things that people didn't do always amazed me. A story for another time : ) Anyway, my friend was in a Dear Jane block swap. You might just have one of her blocks : ) I never got involved because I didn't want a huge quilt made from them, but your mini quilts are the perfect answer! Looks like some people chose to do some really intricate blocks!

Vera said...

Love your little quilts Myra -- so cute. Sorry about the bleeding...what a pain after the time you spent pulling these together. good luck getting the stains out.

Charlene ♥ SC said...

How about that package along with the Rit dyes that says it removes overdye? Let me see ... It's called Rit Color Remover:
"If you have a garment or fabric that you'd like to be lighter in color, Rit Color Remover can help you change the look. It's also handy when you want to re-dye something so the colors won't clash. And for those who didn't mean to make all of their underwear pink, it safely removes most stains on whites that have accidentally been washed with colored items."

Sarah in Stitches said...

Oh, no! I hope you can fix the bleeding because these little quilts are ADORABLE! I'm definitely going to add these to my (massive) to-do list. You're right, they're so much faster and cuter than a massive quilt. Great job! :D

Carol said...

I hope you get some good tips on removing the red color bleed, Myra--what a shame. But, your mini-quilts turned out so cute--I especially like the red, white, and blue one :) Glad you finally brought the quilt squares out of hiding and put them to such good use!

Christine said...

Such lovely little blocks and they look great the way you've grouped them. I especially like the Americana blocks!
Have fun
Christine

Ellen said...

Adorable little quilts, love them!

Hope you are able to remove the bleed!

Hugs,

Roberta said...

Love what you did with your little squares. Sorry to see the red bleeding.

Andrea said...

Gorgeous mini-quilts. Shame about the bleeding, hope some one can find a remedy for it.

Catherine said...

What fun projects you have completed! The patriotic one stood out to me ~ maybe that is because I am more than ready for summer. Have you had any luck removing the color bleed? If it won't come out, have you considered throwing it in a coffee bath to age it and perhaps cover the bleed a bit?

Catherine said...

What fun projects you have completed! The patriotic one stood out to me ~ maybe that is because I am more than ready for summer. Have you had any luck removing the color bleed? If it won't come out, have you considered throwing it in a coffee bath to age it and perhaps cover the bleed a bit?

Kimberly said...

Use one(or more)of those color catcher sheets. Baste it right on top of the quilt over the areas that bled for maximum effect and re-wash the quilt. You may have to do it more than once but it should help!

Brigitte said...

Oh Myra, what a wonderful idea how tro use all these lovely blocks. Your mini-quilts are just adorable. What a shame that this red fabric was bleeding. I hope you'll find a trick how to make it disappear.