background

Monday, May 12, 2014

Hello!

I was thinking I should pop in for a quick post so you wouldn't think I had totally disappeared from the face of the earth.  I don't know what is wrong with me.  I have had lots going on but lost my blogging/stitching mojo somewhere.  Hopefully it will return soon.  I have been reading some blogs when time allows but have been terrible at leaving comments.  I do apologize as I find you all so inspirational and I enjoy seeing what you are doing.

The past couple of months have been spent battling a rezoning of the property next door to ours.  There were plans for a septic tank business to be constructed but I am happy to say all our hard work paid off and the rezoning was denied.  I learned quite a bit about our local government in the process but I am so glad that is behind me.  I am not much of a public speaker and having to give a presentation before both the Planning and Zoning Board and the County Commissioners was not fun.

Betty seems to have finally settled in and realizes that we aren't going to leave her.  She was quite a handful at first because she was so terrified of being left and followed me every step.  We are now taking obedience classes and I am hoping that will help with her relationship with the cats.
 When she is bored, she does destructive things.  Here she murdered her big red dog toy.  :o)

After thinking about it and deciding I wasn't going to plant a garden this year, I did.  LOL  I blame this website mysquarefootgarden .  This picture is right after planting.


And this is one week later.  I added a trellis for my tomatoes, cucumbers, and snap peas to climb and a couple of posts for my squash.  I am going to try to train the squash to grow vertically so they don't take up so much space in the garden



In one week I have had radish, lettuce, onions, peas, and carrots to sprout.  Those little sprouts have given me hope that my garden may just produce something this year.  Wish me luck!

I hope that all you mothers had a fabulous Mother's Day.  I think this one will go down as my worst ever.  I woke up very nauseated.  By 10:30 am I was vomiting and by 2:30 pm I had taken up residence on the throne.  I had a temperature of over 100 and I can't remember the last time I felt so sick.  I missed work today and I do think the worst is behind me although I feel very weak.

On the stitching front, I am turtleing along on the Little House Needleworks doggie rescue piece.  Next month Praiseworthy Stitches is doing a workshop for our guild and I am really looking forward to it.  It will be my very first stitching workshop and should be lots of fun.

So that's my update for now.  I will try my best not to be such a stranger.

Thanks for visiting and I hope you are all having a wonderful spring!

18 comments:

carol fun said...

Hi Myra -- oh your garden looks wonderful. I hope you have a very bountiful harvest. And I hope that you are feeling better today. That was no way to spend Mother's Day or any other day for that matter. Rest up - I'm sure your stitching mojo will return in due time.

Barb said...

Betty is so cute and almost looks guilty about the toy. The garden is also looking good! Hopefully you will get lots of tasty veggies out of it!

Mouse said...

oh dear re the being poorly ... not good is it :(
awwww to Betty .. we found that large plastic pop bottles give hours of fun ... just remember to pick bits of lid up as they hurt your paws when standing on them ... good luck with the obedience lessons too :)
and fabulous wee garden .... :) love mouse xxxxx

cucki said...

Aww Betty is so sweet
And your garden is so lovely too
Hugs xx

Carol said...

We've all missed you so much, Myra! You sure have been through a lot over the past month--so glad the zoning request was turned down. You are very brave to do public speaking--I am terrified of it and avoid it at all costs. But, your determination and hard work paid off.

Good to see that Betty is making herself at home--I'm sure the obedience classes will help a lot...

Wow--did you build that garden all by yourself? What a great idea--it looks beautiful and I'm sure you'll have some yummy produce in no time.

Hope the stitching mojo comes back bit by bit--it is a very busy time of year with all the outdoor things that must also be done. Have a great week--hope you're feeling better by now!

CalamityJr said...

Hope you're feeling better today. Your "bug" sounds terrible! Looking at your garden now, I'm sure you're glad you changed your mind. There should be some tasty treats soon. Can't wait to see your dog rescue piece. Betty is a cutie.

Sherri said...

Betty is adorable. You might have some luck with stuffing a Kong with peanut butter when you are away. It will keep her busy and the Kongs are pretty much indestructable. I love your garden. I did the same type garden last year with herbs. I loved it, so it'll be a regular around here. Hope you get lots of veggies!

Shirlee said...

My dear friend ... so glad to see a post from you! Sorry about the illness but thankful all is well now. Lovely garden! Betty looks so cute : )

marly said...

That photo of Betty and her victim is perfect! What a face. Sorry you had the nasties and am glad you're better.

Vickie said...

I am glad you appear to be over the worst of the illness.
I am also glad Betty has such a loving forever home. :)
Your garden idea looks great!

Robin said...

Love the pictures of Betty! Glad she is adjusting and realizing that she isn't going to be left behind. Nice looking start to your garden.

Robin in Virginia

Lumiruusu said...

Just take it slow and easy when possible. Sometimes our creativity just need weeks of rest and then we can focus on other things... When you are readyYou will pick your needle but before that enjoy your garden ,your new furbaby and all good thing God has given You!!

remember how the Prophet eliah needed time to reast and then he eard the voice of God ...

Pam in IL said...

Myra, I'm so sorry you've been sick and I hope you get feeling better soon. Your garden is coming along nicely. How ironic that we've been battling a rezoning issue as well.

Cindy's Stitching said...

Hi Myra, I was wondering where you were. The dog picture made me laugh, the toy all chewed up and all. I love your garden. It looks awesome. Looks like it will produce a lot. Sorry about mothers day. You will get your mojo back i am sure. We all have our spurts.

butterfly said...

Missed you Myra, hope you get your stitching bug back soon you do some beautiful stitching.
Your garden looks great , and betty I see is having a great time.
Home you are feeling better hugs.

Andrea said...

Hope you are feeling better. Betty looks very at home lying in the garden. You have a very nice garden patch. It is surprising how much you can produce out of a small area.

Jackie said...

I hope you continue to post about your garden. I'm very interested in the square foot method and your thoughts on it throughout the process.

Speaking before your local officials is no small feat! Congratulations for knocking it out of the park!

Maggee said...

I am sorry you were so ill, and hope that you have fully recovered now! Your pup has a very expressive face--am glad you are her 'mommy.' We have a small group of garden boxes planted also. It is Square Foot Gardening but not 'square'! This year I am letting my husband run it...we shall see. I planted Loofah tho...sure hope they do better this year! We all go through periods of ups and downs, and I look forward to coming out of MINE soon! Glad you posted!